3.24 - The Charmers

Post by darren »

Written by Brian Clemens

Directed by Bill Bain

Production completed: 27 February 1964
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

10/10! Although I love Correct way to kill, I do prefer Charmers. Mainly due to the prescence of Fenella Fielding who is just the most enjoyable person to watch on screen! The very best Avengers guest star, and I wish she'd have done more episodes, as she fits into the surreal world of Avengerland perfectly. Rich.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

I'm now nearing the end of watching the series 3 episodes available to me (from the True Entertainment channel) and I've already seen several stories I've recognised as earlier versions of series 5 remakes.

This one is almost immediately recognisable as the original of "The Correct Way to Kill" and while the latter is itself a very good episode, for the first time I actually prefer this Mrs. Gale original.

Fenella Fielding's character Kim being (unknown to Steed) a hired actress rather than a genuine agent gives an extra dimension missing from the remake.

My first 10/10 for this series.

BTW, no reflection of this particular episode but I'll mention it now. Johnny Dankworth's dreadful theme tune is really grating with me after 20 odd episodes. As it happens I was doing a bit of composing myself at this time and I really wish ABC had approached me to provide a sample score. True I was only seven years old at the time but I really feel I could have done better.
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

I've given this a 9.

I absolutely love this episode.

This is much better than its remake a few years later. I think the character of the method writer works much better than the Russian agent. The concept of the episode is great and is the far-away element which keeps the interest without the slightly over the top character of the remake.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

8 for me. Pure Avengers with the butlers, brollies and beauties.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

A real treat of an episode.

Good amount of Steed/Cathy tension, bizarre could-only-be-The-Avengers plot, well paced and good build up - feels like less than fifty minutes and good guest actors/characters.

But above all it's like a later Avengers story in an early Avengers episode. Gives us a nice comparison between Cathy and Emma, Mrs. Peel is much more playful, Mrs. Gale much more fierce in their style. (I'm progressively enjoying Cathy more.) Also remarkable I wasn't put of by Warren Mitchell's performance.

A good episode on itself and a milestone in the history and development of the Avengers as a whole.