11%
5%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 19

Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

As this one was at the bottom of the pile and no one had commented on it for 6 years, I thought I'd make this my next watch. I'm quite enjoying choosing the episode at the bottom of a season and watching it. It's probably that long since I've seen some of these.

When the videos first came out, I loved this story. Its slightly quirky nature made it a hit with its typical Britishness: politeness, charm, gentlemen, stiff-upper-lip. I knew it was a remake of a Cathy Gale episode which I had seen but that was ok.

Watching it now, it still is a strong story: the idea of the double cross done in a different way. However, I think the slightly more realistic interpretation of The Charmers has the edge over this. Almost all the characters, except for Steed and Emma seem to be caricatures of stereotypes, from the over over-the-top Russian Agents to the quintessential British gentlemen. The idea of an actor employed to accompany Steed whom she believes to be a method writer in The Charmers, gives the story a little more edge because she never realises how much danger she is in, and the stories with which she regales Steed which he misinterprets as agent activity is quite sublime. Even Philip Madoc , who was an amazing actor (even in My Wildest Dream which I watched at the weekend) always turns in an amazing performance, but was a little OTT here as Ivan. I think The Avengers works best when yes, one foot is leaving the ground, but there is still another foot on it - the balloon seems to be pulling both feet off here simultaneously.

Having said that, I enjoyed it more than the last time I watched it - perhaps familiarity breeds contempt and a little distance increases viewing pleasure. May be I over dosed on the colour Emma stories in the past and little space was needed. Having said that, some of my all-time favourite stories do come from this year.

The music seemed to be a little on the back burner in this one, but it was nice to hear some of the cues I enjoy from series 4 which were on the whole ignored this year.

Overall, I give this.....

Hmmm - I've talked it down a little, but have just really enjoyed myself.

Come on, go for it....

7 - there, I've said it.

It would have been higher with a little more straight acting to increase the sense of tension and danger.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....