8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 24

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

5.02 - Escape in Time

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate Escape in Time, production completed early October 1966.

Teleplay by Philip Levene
Directed by John Kirsh
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Can't believe no one has commented on this one! One of my absolute favorites of Season 5. A little thin on the plot - I find it difficult to believe that any nefarious criminal could be convinced that they're going to travel back in time - but so lovely in all other respects. Steed and Mrs. Peel are having a great time, both together and separately, the villains are just this side of cackling, and the whole mis-en-scene is delightfully surreal. If Luis Bunuel made an Avengers episode, it would look like this (only with more ostriches).
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 7 (but meant to give 8!)
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Yesterday I finished the comparison and study of four "Escape in Time" prints: USA (A&E), French (StudioCanal), British (Optimum) and Russian (from TV in 1995). Main differences are only the Russian print was much brighter than others, and Optimum have fewer film defects.

As always, I went into the study of bloopers in the episode and stuntmen.

As for bloopers, I noticed only two new things not mentioned before:

1. When Paxton examines the Thyssen's office, the location of the objects on the wall at the door to the corridor is too clear change when camera shooting with different angles.

2. Emma drops the toy crocodile to the ground without or almost without any vegetation, but in the next frame the camera shows that it is lying on the grass.

Unfortunately there are no finds in the stunt area, but it's interesting to look at what DVD Optimum allows to identify:

It was well visible that Cyd Child was replacing Diana Rigg in two scenes.

1) Scene of the motorcyclist chase after Emma.

2. Emma Peel fights with Mitchell as Steed's understudy.

Ha, I must admit and that is all! :D

I tried to catch stuntman's face as Patrick's replacement, but I was able not. Subconsciously, I understand that it was supposed to be Rocky, but you can not see it for sure.
On the other hand, it's clearly visible the face of the stuntman for Peter Bowles, some stuntman who has a big nose, seems. Hmm, I've been analyzing the person for a long time, unfortunate here nothing came to my mind to identify.

A curious moment, this is the first appearance of Bentley, where you can see that in the car are two doubles. While the stunt driver for Steed maybe Paul Weston, stand-in for Geoffrey Bayldon looks like Tim Barrett/Gerry Crampton for me. As for latter, there you can catch only one frame, where you will see clearly his face in profile.

Well, dear Avengers fans, I hope there will be some exciting news when there will review for next episode, The Bird Who Knew Too Much.
Denis
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

One of the very best episodes. Yes you can have some criticism, but it distils the atmosphere of the Avengers very well. The old or classical contrasted with the modern, lot's of tongue in cheek jokes, amazing visuals, goofy diabolical mastermind. It's not one of the best plot-wise, but it is highly enjoyable and could only be an Avengers episode.
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

I agree - this is one of my favourite episodes with a neat and clever conjunction between the swinging sixties and 16th century Elizabethan Tudor England.
A friend of mine saw this episode on ITV4 for the first time - he loved it - and his only criticism was that the foot-holes in the medieval stocks were too large - thus making escape possible.
I had to agree that the props department had indeed probably made a slight error in their measurements for Mrs Peel's bare feet.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

One of my favourites, Peter Bowles is always good value and the plot is totally the madcap spy-fi of the colour Emma Peel era.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

8/10

Another favourite.