6.32 - Take-Over

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate Take-Over.

Written by Terry Nation
Directed by Robert Fuest
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

One of my all time favourite episodes, and one that demonstrates the great variation of the last series. We see Steed at his most vulnerable in a long time and being persecuted by a wonderful gang of out there villains such as the wonderfully barmy Circe, and great visuals and direction by Robert Fuest add up to an altogether different Avengers episode.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Sublime episode. So different. It really gives a sense of where the show could have gone had it continued - a more psychological feel at times.

I think it really is one of Macnee's finest performances. Steed really goes through it. We see his charm and sociability and quick thinking and he really gets dirtied down.

The guest cast are all strong actors.

It's beautifully and effectively directed by Robert Fuest. Some great design from Robert Jones (and unsung hero of the later years of the show).

Easy 10/10
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I agree, it is sheer brilliance. Tom Adams shines as the villain, a good match for Steed (his erudite and ruthless side, as Merlin in The Morning After was for his sly and mischievous side). It's a shame he never got similarly challenging screen roles again.

The grit and pain of this episode, when compared to more whimsical New Avengers entries like Target!, shows up the false contrast between the popular portrayal of the 1960s series as "witty"/whimsical and the 1970s TNA as "tougher"/more serious. There was a natural progression going on, and the Avengers always mixed humour with hardness.

And it was never harder than here, in Take-Over, an essential episode. Proving the Avengers wasn't fluff, and could do hard-hitting drama with the best of them.

This episode is the very definition of "tension" and "suspense", but looks beautiful (and bleak).

10/10. I wouldn't want all Avengers episodes to be like this, but I am glad one is.
Last edited by Frankymole on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

One of my favourites this one. I was fortunate to be able to interview Tom Adams last year and we watched Take-Over as we talked. He was amazed at how good it was (and how good he was!) although he didn't remember a great deal about the actual filming. He did remember trying it on with Hilary Pritchard though and was given very short shrift apparently :D
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I can only agree with everything that's been said. It's an episode of claustrophobic, bleak, tense body horror, and it works brilliantly. It has this cold, clinical feel that ratchets up the suspense, especially when they juxtapose the surgeries with "civilised" scenes, like the dinner party. Patrick gets to play Steed in survival mode, and puts in a top performances. And I squirm every time I see those neck bandages.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mariocki wrote:One of my favourites this one. I was fortunate to be able to interview Tom Adams last year and we watched Take-Over as we talked. He was amazed at how good it was (and how good he was!) although he didn't remember a great deal about the actual filming. He did remember trying it on with Hilary Pritchard though and was given very short shrift apparently :D
Ah, very cool (as we'd expect from someone so associated with McGill!) - is your Tom Adams interview going to be available to read/buy somewhere?
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

It's just sitting on my dictaphone at the moment Franky, I must get around to transcribing soon. Tom was the perfect gentleman as you would expect but he kept stopping to watch himself on the screen and exclaim, "Look at me, I was so cool." It wasn't in a big-headed kind of way, he was genuinely surprised at how good he was and I think he regretted not applying himself more around that time.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Very perceptive of him. It's a great performance - one of the most memorable Avengers villains, and that's saying a lot.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

This was a fantastic idea to review the episodes. I have a lot of catching up to do so I have not seen this episode before. I am thrilled to hear everyone liked this so much and that Geoff got to interview one of the best villains ever. Wish that interview was on bonus material but alas Geoff has it What year did you interview him Geoff? And how did it come about? How did you find him anyway?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."