6.26 - Fog

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate Fog.

Written by Jeremy Burnham
Directed by John Hough
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

SUPERB! One of the best Tara's. Great plot, brilliant set and costumes, and great fun! 3 out of 4 have given it the deserved 10/10 so far. The other voter only gave 2 :!: :shock: I've looked at the other episodes to see a pattern emerging of highish scores and one very low score. Is someone out there going off the best TV series ever :?: Rich.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I love this episode. It gets better every time I watch it. Of course now with the 50th anniversary set I can watch it complete. Previous releases were always cut.

In atmosphere, it's so unlike most of Tara's era and indeed the Emma Peel seasons that preceded it. No open countryside, English country lanes, business offices, or secret installations and underground bases. Just studio-bound alleyways, pokey Victorian rooms, very strange strangers and something sharp and glittery being stealthily unsheathed just round the corner, whilst the fog muffles noises, and distracting and confusing sounds are heard - the clip-clop of hooves and the rattle of a hansom cab, footsteps of a running victim or murderer...

The Avengers had to do Jack the Ripper eventually and does it in its own style, with fear and humour in equal measure (I love the bit where the little Eastern Bloc agent fails to communicate with Tara, mixing up "goodbye" with a greeting so she shuts the door on him. And there's the all-time-great line as Steed first espies the Gaslight Ghoul members in repose in their club room: "Bearded, in the den". It's the way Steed seems momentarily brought up short, perhaps hiding his surprise (and delight?), and indicates them as he says it, great acting).

Nigel Green's great in this as a very suave villain... or is he? Steed has some very witty remarks near the end and the joke with the deflected thrown swords was paid off nicely.

If it wasn't for "All Done With Mirrors", this could well be my favourite Tara King era episode.

10/10. Four bowlers out of four.
Last edited by Frankymole on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:SUPERB! One of the best Tara's. Great plot, brilliant set and costumes, and great fun! 3 out of 4 have given it the deserved 10/10 so far. The other voter only gave 2 :!: :shock: I've looked at the other episodes to see a pattern emerging of highish scores and one very low score. Is someone out there going off the best TV series ever :?: Rich.
Well it'd be interesting to know why they don't like the things they don't like. Some remarks, as well as the number, would be nice to read!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

Another favourite of mine, and with the nights closing in one I'm due to watch soon.

As already said completely different to any other episode, full of atmosphere and again a great cast.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

cyberrich wrote:SUPERB! One of the best Tara's. Great plot, brilliant set and costumes, and great fun! 3 out of 4 have given it the deserved 10/10 so far. The other voter only gave 2 :!: :shock: I've looked at the other episodes to see a pattern emerging of highish scores and one very low score. Is someone out there going off the best TV series ever :?: Rich.
Not sure why he gave a 2? I have been giving high marks except Hot Snow i was not thrilled with like everyone else. So I gave it a lower mark like 5 or 6 can't recall now.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

great episode. I love the humour on this one. The opening scene with the warm British welcome,"Visit Sunny Britain" and the tag scene where Steed and Tara can't see each other due to fog says it all. FOG is a must see for any first time tourist to England. My closest experience was with smog when I moved to LA in the summer. I never realized I had a nice view of mountains out of my apt window until the winter. :wink:
Loved the Russian character actor. He had me convinced he is Russian.
Last edited by anti-clockwise on Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

An exceptionally good episode and a great Jack the Ripper pastiche with lots of secondary characters that add to the atmosphere. Just showed that The Avengers format was flexible to include an episode like this.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Goodbye

Easy 10/10

Everything in this episode just falls into place.

This is one of those episodes that just felt so Avengerish in a way that I felt it always. No other show could get away with an episode sooo way out in style. It's so different from the norm yet still uniquely The Avengers.

Jeremy Burnham was on contract for this season to provide so many episodes. He'd previously done You'll Catch Your Death, False Witness and Love All. This is a very visual episode that is carried on atmosphere so it doesn't really need a major hook for the story so it doesn't matter what it is only that it allows for all these eccentrics popping up.

John Hough was a second unit director in late season 5 and first half of season 6 but he got given a few episodes in season 6. Fog was his third episode and it's one that was so suited to his style.

Linda Thorson looks great in the black outfit with the red coat. And Macnee and Newell fit so well into the faux Victoriana.

I'd really like a copy of Johnson's score.

It's a great winter evening viewing.

Hello:)
Guillaume
Thingumajig

Post by Guillaume »

in france, we don't like this episode...