No votes
No votes
11%
5%

Total votes: 19

denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

anti-clockwise wrote:great episode. I love the humour on this one. The opening scene with the warm British welcome,"Visit Sunny Britain" and the tag scene where Steed and Tara can't see each other due to fog says it all. FOG is a must see for any first time tourist to England. My closest experience was with smog when I moved to LA in the summer. I never realized I had a nice view of mountains out of my apt window until the winter. :wink:
Loved the Russian character actor. He had me convinced he is Russian.
I'm awfully fond this episode. It was the first episode with Linda Thorson, which I recorded on videotape. It was 28 February 1995 - the first transmission of the episode in Russia.
I during this first viewing remembered of Russian film "The Hound of the Baskervilles" with Livanov as Sherlock Holmes. :)
Throughout the episode I have a sense of continuous suspense. Very few filmmakers can do it. London is transformed into a parallel world of dark lanes, mysterious characters (blind man, organ grinder, a saleswoman, grinder blades), which seem to be linked a mystery. The director draws attention to them. It's almost Twilight Zone, which delayed a everybody and the environment - seems to be no way out of it. Well, I 'm glad they kept the fog to the end (how else, it's the title of the episode :D ).

The actor, who played a Russian, played great. He spoke on good Russian, and he had a great sense of humor.
When one of the scenes with him seen my mother (back in 1995), she is thought that the episode filmed in Russia. :lol: She was pleasantly amazed. :shock: This is my favorite character in the episode (not surprisingly).
When there was no fan club Steedumbrella, I showed this episode at home. I think many recall the impressions of Linda Thorson on the basis of this episode. :)

Always 10 of 10.
Denis
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

denisrigg wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:great episode. I love the humour on this one. The opening scene with the warm British welcome,"Visit Sunny Britain" and the tag scene where Steed and Tara can't see each other due to fog says it all. FOG is a must see for any first time tourist to England. My closest experience was with smog when I moved to LA in the summer. I never realized I had a nice view of mountains out of my apt window until the winter. :wink:
Loved the Russian character actor. He had me convinced he is Russian.
I'm awfully fond this episode. It was the first episode with Linda Thorson, which I recorded on videotape. It was 28 February 1995 - the first transmission of the episode in Russia.
I during this first viewing remembered of Russian film "The Hound of the Baskervilles" with Livanov as Sherlock Holmes. :)
Throughout the episode I have a sense of continuous suspense. Very few filmmakers can do it. London is transformed into a parallel world of dark lanes, mysterious characters (blind man, organ grinder, a saleswoman, grinder blades), which seem to be linked a mystery. The director draws attention to them. It's almost Twilight Zone, which delayed a everybody and the environment - seems to be no way out of it. Well, I 'm glad they kept the fog to the end (how else, it's the title of the episode :D ).

The actor, who played a Russian, played great. He spoke on good Russian, and he had a great sense of humor.
When one of the scenes with him seen my mother (back in 1995), she is thought that the episode filmed in Russia. :lol: She was pleasantly amazed. :shock: This is my favorite character in the episode (not surprisingly).
When there was no fan club Steedumbrella, I showed this episode at home. I think many recall the impressions of Linda Thorson on the basis of this episode. :)

Always 10 of 10.
Interesting Denis that you found the Russian character so believable. So this episode has a lot of meaning to you. I loved it as well as you can see. Wonder why it is not popular in France?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Guillaume wrote:in france, we don't like this episode...
Why do you think it is not popular in France? :?:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

denisrigg wrote: I'm awfully fond this episode. It was the first episode with Linda Thorson, which I recorded on videotape. It was 28 February 1995 - the first transmission of the episode in Russia.
I have all Livanov's Holmes episodes - I haven't got around to watching that one yet. I must do it!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Actually an episode that made me re-evaluate Tara King (if only for a moment). Deliciously atmospheric and intelligent, some great character actors - Nigel Green back again and being used to excellent effect. A nice little mystery under all of it, and the nods to Victoriana make me love it all the more.

My one tiny objection has more to do with the general return in Season 6 of Steed and his partner going off on assignments from Ministry overlords. I enjoyed that Steed was his own man from Seasons 3-5, with very little interference or "checking in" from folks from the Ministry. With Mother Rhonda and all the rest, it feels more like he's just another cog in a machine. I wish he'd kept his sovereignty - it takes the emphasis off the characters and puts them on this shadowy spy organization that is really not all that interesting.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

That was the American buyers insisting that Mother be brought back. He wasn't in the initial season 6 episodes but they loved him so much they insisted he return.

Cultural differences...
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Talking about the episode, not the production. Production circumstances are trivia that's only of interest in terms of biography or history and has no bearing on Avengerland or its interpretation, or on personal opinion or experience of the episode, season, or series as a whole.

Man, I can't even say I like an episode, can I? Sheesh.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

norw27 wrote:Another favourite of mine, and with the nights closing in one I'm due to watch soon.

As already said completely different to any other episode, full of atmosphere and again a great cast.
one of the few Tara episodes that I would show to 'new' fans of the series...and that's saying alot
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

2 from me. Like the old streets/steps.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Very enjoyable. 9/10