Discuss, review and rate Killer.

Written by Tony Williamson
Directed by Cliff Owen
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: Killer

Post by denis rigg »

Deleted scene from Killer.

I think this shot of the scene that follows after the death of Trancer in the Steed's flat. :roll:

Denis
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

This scene was actually replaced by freshly written material involving Macnee, Newell and Jennifer Croxton.

I don't know if Brian Clemens did the new material (though I would think so).

The screenplay is pure Avengers, with Tony Williamson dialing into the style of the series, having been away for a time working on both The Champions and Adam Adamant Lives!
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

MikeR wrote:This scene was actually replaced by freshly written material involving Macnee, Newell and Jennifer Croxton.

I don't know if Brian Clemens did the new material (though I would think so).

The screenplay is pure Avengers, with Tony Williamson dialing into the style of the series, having been away for a time working on both The Champions and Adam Adamant Lives!
Yes, there is a possibility that scene was replaced, but I don't think that it was the fresh material. I am sure that the all necessary scenes already were rewritten for Diana when it became known that Linda Thorson goes on vacation.
Most likely - just a shortened episode, as in the case with many other episodes of the series.

I think the original sequence was as follows:
1. Death of Trancer.
2. Classroom. Instructions for agents in respect to Remak or something like that. (In a deleted shot, we see Jennifer Croxton or her understudy in the first row).
3. After instructions Steed talks with Mother and on background agents leaves the room.
4. Acquaintance Steed and Diana.
Denis
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Denis You are amazing. How did you find this pic? Would be interesting to know more about the scene cut but great photo. thanks for sharing! :D
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

anti-clockwise wrote:Denis You are amazing. How did you find this pic? Would be interesting to know more about the scene cut but great photo. thanks for sharing! :D
This amazing pic was previously only pay, he was in the photo slides of the episode "Killer" - the images were so small that it was difficult to see anything. Well, I always thought that there is nothing special.
Now these slides got in freely available and there was a revelation. :D

Unfortunately I can not tell you more about this scene, because I have not read the script of the episode.
I hope that the script is in the last British DVD set of 6 season, which I ordered the recently. I will get it in January or February.
Denis
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

denisrigg wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:Denis You are amazing. How did you find this pic? Would be interesting to know more about the scene cut but great photo. thanks for sharing! :D
This amazing pic was previously only pay, he was in the photo slides of the episode "Killer" - the images were so small that it was difficult to see anything. Well, I always thought that there is nothing special.
Now these slides got in freely available and there was a revelation. :D

Unfortunately I can not tell you more about this scene, because I have not read the script of the episode.
I hope that the script is in the last British DVD set of 6 season, which I ordered the recently. I will get it in January or February.
Unfortunately, the shooting script for Killer is not on the DVD set. What you get for this episode is a set of dialogue sheets, which only duplicate what dialogue was spoken in the episode and so they are of no assistance when attempting to locate the replaced scene.

In my opinion, the first scene where Steed met Lady Diana Forbes-Blakely replaces this scene where Mother is lecturing trainee agents at a training facility and Steed appears to give the students the benefit of his professional experience.

The only reason I can think of to cause this rewrite and reshoot, was that Albert Fennell who was technically in charge of The Avengers, considered that the scene did not work. However, as it was filmed, it does indicate that the original scene was in Tony Williamson’s shooting script.

I did exchange lots of correspondence with Williamson over the past three years of his life and he informed me that he always came up with the ideas for his screenplays, which he discussed in detail with Brain Clemens, although he rarely visited the studios.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

You know it is too bad that we can't see the original scripts. It really would be interesting to see how it evolved. The Girl from Auntie is a great example. According to Roger Marshall what he wrote ( which unfortunately he can't recall) does not resemble what he wrote.
That makes a lot of sense Mike but it would be so wonderful if we could see it in writing.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Re: Killer

Post by MikeR »

denisrigg wrote:Deleted scene from Killer.

I think this shot of the scene that follows after the death of Trancer in the Steed's flat. :roll:

I saw this photograph about 18 months ago and then I instantly realised that it does not appear in the episode, but that the only place it could really fit is when Steed visits Mother and he is introduced to Jennifer Croxton's character for the first time.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

anti-clockwise wrote:You know it is too bad that we can't see the original scripts. It really would be interesting to see how it evolved. The Girl from Auntie is a great example. According to Roger Marshall what he wrote ( which unfortunately he can't recall) does not resemble what he wrote.
That makes a lot of sense Mike but it would be so wonderful if we could see it in writing.
There are quite a number of scripts that are now missing and some of this is down to the official copyright holder, who I'm sure was Weintraub Entertainment at the time (the late 80s), deciding to reduce paperwork. As a result they foolishly hired a company to transcribe all the scripts thay had into dialogue sheets, which reduced the amount of paper. However, the saving was minimal and the end result was that the original screenplays were discarded.

Hence the chance of obtaining scripts for the series now probably lies with people who worked on the show.
Last edited by MikeR on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.