6.15 - Noon Doomsday

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate Noon Doomsday.

Written by Terry Nation
Directed by Peter Sykes
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I love it: atmospheric, playing with another genre, great station location, good hide and seek chase/fighting sequences with Tara in the outbuildings.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

This was the first episode I bought of The Avengers on video (paired with Fog - Lumiere Volume 11).

Although credited to Terry Nation, apparently Brian Clemens gave it a heavy rewrite when Nation didn't deliver what they'd agreed on (and consequently Nation aimed to always stick to the brief in future).

Peter Sykes is a wonderful director, shame he only did two episodes of the show (Love All as the other one). There's so much movement and depth to his shots that it never becomes boring. There's a real sweeping landscape to the pre-title teaser, emulating the feel of westerns.

It's such a good episode for Linda/Tara. With Steed incapacitated (but getting the final killing blow) she really carries the action and drama (even coshing Steed with a champagne bottle - "I'm sorry but it was a good vintage). I love the scene where they ponder the collective noun for agents.

Steed: A contentment..?
Tara: Agents aren't particularly contented.
Steed: Erm.. this one is. [he drinks more champagne]

I love the way that Gerald Kafka is presented like a returning baddie. He's given a real sense of threat which makes you appreciate what Tara is up against.

Howard Blake's score is superb (and going by the CD release, a lot of it wasn't even used) and mixes fairly imperceptibly with the stock Laurie Johnson pieces.

Mother's scenes, going through Steed's drinks cabinet, is a good laugh. And he nearly even goads a verbal reaction from Rhonda.

It really is like a mini-film this episode. 10/10
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Not bad at all - good pacing, enjoyable performances, and I really like Steed's Nehru jacket. The ending is a wee bit pat, though: wish that they'd gone with Tara actually managing to save Steed through and through, rather than him leaping out of his chair to rescue her in just the nick of time. But we can't have that, now can we? Otherwise, a pretty good episode.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

8 from me. Like the locations.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Brigadier Q
Nutshell

Post by Brigadier Q »

This one I remember clearly from my childhood.

Loved it then, full of danger and ingenious situations.

Loved it slightly less this time around, but nice location, Tara gets lots to do, great cast including a cameo by The Late Great Anthony Ainley and I really liked Mother's appropriation of Steed's drinks collection.

8 out of 10
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Mainly filmed on Brian Clemens farm at Ampthill in Bedfordshire.
Brigadier Q
Nutshell

Post by Brigadier Q »

Nice bit of info!

I suppose it was:

A) A cheaper location.

B) A way to make even more money from an episode.

Still, it was a great location. I wonder if it is still standing.

(I used to use the same dentist as Brian Clemens in Wimpole Street, when I could afford such luxury! Strictly NHS these days)
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Brigadier Q wrote:Nice bit of info!

I suppose it was:

A) A cheaper location.

B) A way to make even more money from an episode.

Still, it was a great location. I wonder if it is still standing.

(I used to use the same dentist as Brian Clemens in Wimpole Street, when I could afford such luxury! Strictly NHS these days)
Yes, the Clemens farm is still standing and still owned by his family.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

I had to scroll right to the end of the list to find this thread, over 5 years since the last contribution.

I didn't enjoy this as much as everyone else seems to have done. On the plus side, atmospheric locations and good direction. I was prepared for a "slow burner", it's nice for a change, but I found it just too slow and ultimately disappointing.

By no means the worst episode but, for me, not one of the best.

7/10