14%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 14

anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

mariocki wrote:Went to see Peter Vaughan today - not doing too badly for 93!

That's just fabulous Geoff. So tell us more! nice pics. thanks for sharing.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
highflyingbird
White Dwarf

Post by highflyingbird »

Very sadly Peter Vaughan passed away yesterday. Thoughts are with his family at this time. But 93 was certainly a fair old innings.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Good strong episode with great supporting cast.

If this had been the first innocent people brainwashed to commit murder plot then it would have been 10.

But it wasn't.

8/10
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

I haven't seen this one in a while, so I thought with an hour to myself to 'kill' I'd watch this again.

First saw this on Channel 4 in the mid 80s, broadcast in a 6pm time slot. I've since read that many ITV stations either gave this episode a miss or screened it late at night due to the content. I can see why. This is very knife wielding heavy with direct shots of chest stabbings, even if half of them are against dummies....

The director (Robert Feust) does a great job. There are some great shots, such as shooting up beneath a glass table in Yagger's office, or framing the fight between Tara and Dyson in patterned glass in the optics room. I'm sure that fight with Mrs Peel would have looked a lot more fantastical, but here Tara is using brute force as Mrs Gale would have done. Some great long shoots, too, such as when Tara and Steed head of to his car after visiting the victim in his darkroom with the daffodils framed in the near shot. The music is good,too. Hadn't realised it was a Howard Blake, but nice to hear some of Johnson's cues from series 5 used.

There are a few nagging points in the plot:

How did Tobias and Nurse Owen know each other?

Why was Steed chosen as the witness? Dyson said he has researched him thoroughly. If so, how could he not think that Steed wouldn't get that close to their operations?

Why was a witness needed? With Frank Tobias behind all of this, suspicion might fall on him as the only board member left. If others saw the murders, then it puts him in the clear, I suppose.

Why did Frank want to control of the board? His motives are not made clear.

Why choose Steed? Perhaps this is the beginning of the not-so-secret-agent as we see more in TNA where people just seem to be able, to locate him. I think there could more convincing ways for our heroes to become involved.

Had others from Dr Yager's office gone on to do such heinous crimes, or we're these the only examples? Did he know of Nurse Owen's schemes? I imagine not.

Still, tight story telling, with a hard edge.

I've always thought that this and its predecessor in production Look, (Sop me if you've heard this one).... Are basically the same story. A board of directors is being bumped off, and there is a traitor on the board organising it. The motives in the latter are more clear. However, this one is realised as a thriller, and Look..... Is realised as a comedy. The diversity of the show can accommodate both both and place our heroes within it.

Is it me, or is Steed's voice seemingly lower now?

Overall, I give this an 8.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
Lhbizness wrote: Although I still find it unfortunate they went the route of her developing a crush on him, it's quite a sweet relationship in some ways.
Much like Purdey's crush on Steed (as painfully evident in her conversation about his shoulder)...
Lhbizness wrote: Steed, however, seems to lose a lot of his sense of humor. He becomes more heroic, more "perfect" in the sense of dedication to duty than in any previous season, but the joy seems to have gone out of it. He's become quite melancholy.
I suppose his character would develop (again), all those deaths and departures must leave a mark on a man. This was developed further in The New Avengers, of course, with Steed eventually pontificating on how the job changes people, even him.

well stated...as Steed has indeed changed from the days of the Keel era, thru Mrs. Gale, Mrs. Peel, and eventually, Tara....and along the way, he lost some valued comrades, and the job, eventually wore him down...I could see Steed eventually retiring from the field, and become the new MOTHER.....

This was a great episode for Linda, she shined as Tara..
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Lee wrote: Is it me, or is Steed's voice seemingly lower now?
Probably the pitch-shifting from removing the PAL speedup. the remastered DVDs of a few years back (and subsequent BluRays) did that for all except the corrected version of "Legacy of Death" (the one with the fixed sound had a broken picture).
Last watched: "Mandrake"