No votes
No votes
No votes
5%

Total votes: 21

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote:I've updated my page for Girl on the Trapeze for the 60th anniversary of its premiere.

Nadia Regin is definitely NOT in the episode and must have been replaced, possibly due to illness, during rehearsals. This happened to other actors in several other series 1 episodes - the TV Times had a two week turnaround from content delivery & typesetting to printing, so if Nadia became unavailable in that two week period, the TV Times listing would be wrong (and it was - it listed Nadia as playing Anna Danilov, who was actually played by Mia Karam). Some people have tried to claim the Nadia instead played Katrina Sandor but that is fanciful, she looks almost nothing like her.
A bit like Morris Perry in Tunnel of Fear... right up until it was rediscovered, books were claiming he'd been recast before transmission, but it's clearly him in the episode. The TV Times is unreliable.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Anthony Bate replaced Murray Hayne in Tunnel of Fear. I didn't know of any debate about Morris.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote:Anthony Bate replaced Murray Hayne in Tunnel of Fear. I didn't know of any debate about Morris.
The McGinlay Hayes books twice say that Perry was definitely replaced before filming. Which he wasn't.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Ah yes, I just read that. They had seen a production still of Richard Pescud as a constable and decided he must have replaced Morris, rather than being an additional character. I must say some of the conclusions the draw in the book are a pretty long bow, which is why I'm being more considered in my plot summaries.

I'll have to update some of my pictures for Tunnel of Fear when it reaches its 60th, some are still from publicity stills and Leonard White's scrapbook of telesnaps.
Last edited by dissolute on Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
johnnybear
Thingumajig

Post by johnnybear »

I watched this episode a few months back and noticed the flash at about 44 minutes in where Zibo has entered the room and is about to kill the two Avengers! Now I have the US 17th disc set so wonder if anyone else has the flash on their disc or is it just my luck as per usual?
JB
johnnybear
Thingumajig

Post by johnnybear »

Ooops! Sorry it seems that I've already asked this question a few months earlier on! I thought I must have but couldn't find it but now I have!
JB
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

Thought I'd give this one another spin as it's been over 7 years since my last watching.

My memory was that it was quite a good story, even without Steed.

This time, my watching, I think, was clouded a little by listening to several episodes of the Big Finish productions, with Anthony Howell's voice as Keel and a very different sounding Carol. Ingrid Hafner's voice seemed a little grating this time in comparison to Lucy Briggs-Owen of BF.

Overall, the story is OK, Do Keel and Carol live together at the surgery? I didn't pick up on that last time.

There were some nice inserts filmed on Westminster Bridge, even with an athletic Ian Hendry jumping over a fence, with a second run up!

Kenneth J Warren and Edwin Richfield make I believe their first appearance in the show - both would go on to have other roles in future series.

I wonder how the lack of Steed was perceived by audiences in 1961? I certainly felt this time round that his absence was a negative point against the story. I know from some of the BF scripts that either of the leads might only appear in the first and last few minutes of a story, but his absence completely is noticeable and in my mind the story doesn't feel complete. I know someone in an earlier review said it makes it feel like any other drama from the time, and I think this time around I agree.

Interesting to hear the ad-break music cue in over the fight at the end instead of some other incidental music. Interesting: I thought that arrangement / sting didn't come in until later, but it certainly seems to have been composed and recorded by here.

As the story failed to hold my attention in the same was as it did last time I watched this, I give this a 6.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
johnnybear
Thingumajig

Post by johnnybear »

Did you notice the flash, only if you have the Emma Peel set of course?
JB
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Lee wrote: Do Keel and Carol live together at the surgery? I didn't pick up on that last time.
I don't think so. In another story she is late leaving to go home from the surgery as she has some paperwork to finish (or is it this one? Keel offers to let her use his living-room as it's more comfortable than the office). Also I think in Tunnel of Fear she's getting ready to go home at the start before Harry Black's arrival delays things. We also see her lodgings and landlord in "A Change of Bait". They're not very far from the surgery, but not at the same site.
Last edited by Frankymole on Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnnybear
Thingumajig

Post by johnnybear »

I liked that surgery, it looked very cosy in there!
JB