Epic

Post by Rhonda »

8 for me
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

9/10. I love the banter between Purdey and Gambit in this one. Rich.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

My review:

http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/newave-4vr.htm#3

"A tiny sliver of her would buy me a hundred omelets." It is true that there are a lot of disparate elements in this episode, and they often look in danger of not coming together. With some top-notch direction from Bob Fuest, a first-rate cast, and fitting music, it mostly works as a taut drama. At least for the first forty minutes; the last reel becomes a bit crazy when the villains' plot is revealed. Business as usual, then!

The Avenged?: This is about preventing a crime rather than solving one, though Mike has to follow up the gruesome "demonstration". The introductory scenes of riflemen closing around Steed's disgraced ex-colleague Freddy (now a vagrant) end with a very neat twist.

Diabolical Masterminds?: Evil scientists again, though with a well-defined eccentricity (gold lust). But what was Midas' reason for willingly submitting to the life of enforced isolation from the human race which the Professor has chosen for him?

The Avengers?: Just enough wry quipping. Mike and Purdey get all the fights. Steed breaks in to rescue Purdey just after Mike has finished doing so; Mike reassures Steed that even though the older man is too late, at least his dashing attempt was good practice! Purdey shows no qualms after despatching a gunman, kicking him to his death. Purdey tells Mike "Difficult choice — it was you or him." Mike is dismayed not so much by losing a valuable lead as by Purdey having to weigh up the choice! Some ace driving, culminating in a joyful near ram-raid by the Avengers on the glass doors of a diplomatic venue, as they desperately race against time to the final showdown.

Umbrella, Charm and a Bowler Hat?: Purdey and Gambit's exchanges seem more natural than in the earlier stories — Mike has stopped trying to chat her up, at least for now. The car chase is often cited as a good scene: as well as nonchalantly debating John Huston's movie, it is amusing when they crash through a fruit crate and in the next shot Purdey peels one of the oranges and feeds a piece to Mike! Mike, in turn, reassures his fellow Avengers during another fast drive, by listing all the famous racetracks upon which he has competed. Then he gleefully adds that he crashed on all of them. The three regulars mesh well in their few scenes together, but I would have liked more Steed.

Bizarre?: Hong Kong Harry — what were they thinking?? Not the best characterisation, even in the un-PC 1970s. And how did Harry get through the airport metal detectors whilst smuggling "half-a-million in gold" strapped to his body? A very gritty first half, then becomes quite an old-fashioned episode, with its over-the-top scheme and crackpot motives all round. The deaths range from slightly silly (the "Red Death" party) to shocking (Steed's old friend Freddy's sudden illness and suicide), but the violence is less graphic than in some stories. And Purdey climbs that gate, making grown men weep.

On Target? (Score): If one is in the right mood, perhaps after a short palate-freshening rest from The New Avengers, this strikes the right note. Three golden bowlers (our of 4). 8/10.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Steeds banter with girl in blue, (whose ease in lifting a very heavy briefcase surprises him ), leads to a comment from Purdey, ( who appears none too happy with the interaction ), to Steed AFTER the girl leaves :o
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Eh, I give it a soft 7/10. Not enough Steed, and there's the long and grandly pointless chase in the middle. The villains are good, though with the exception of Hong Kong Harry, and the plot pretty solid as an idea. I could do without the Gambit/Purdey "banter", which for me always comes off as an attempt to duplicate the charm of the earlier Avengers series without success. (Though I admit my lack of enthusiasm in that area is mostly due to finding Gambit about as interesting as a dishrag.)
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

Watched this episode the other day and was pretty unmoved by it, although technically its okay as a production.
hatpeg
Little Wonder

Post by hatpeg »

With the series being shown on the Sony Channel at the moment, this episode has not been shown.
All the others were.
I have emailed Sony to ask why.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Perhaps it is very sensitive at the moment due to the theme of contagion/ a walking pandemic?
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Perhaps it is very sensitive at the moment due to the theme of contagion/ a walking pandemic?
spot on.....fiction imitating reality...somewhat