11%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 18

Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Oh, I also wish that Annette Andre and Macnee had at least one scene together (which I don't think they do?) They're so charming together in Mandrake that it would have been a great addition. She'd have made a good recurring character, actually.

I don't mind the "girlfriend of the week" theme, especially in this one which allows for an opening of Steed's character a bit more and his distress when he realizes she's trying to kill him.

I missed the dig at Linda's weight - which is ridiculous anyways, as none of the Avengers women can possibly be called less than svelte. But the whole thing is distasteful and it's a shame to lay it at the door of Steed, given that he'd rarely be so crass.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I really enjoy this one as well. Everyone's settled into their roles a bit, and things have started to click along. Peter Jeffrey's always good value, too.

The mix-up with the horse pictures is a highlight, and done in good fun. The whole point is for it to get progressively more and more outrageous and unbelievable given what we know about the characters. Joanna gets wound up along with us until Steed clears up the confusion for us all. Obviously we know that none of the women would tolerate such fates, and the punchline is that we actually believe it for a second. They pull the same wrongfooting trick later on when Steed talks about his "one and only marriage." None of characters are affected by it. The people really having fun poked at them are the viewers who were gullible enough to believe that any of it was true. We fall for it, then realise we should have known better.

I also suspect that the bit about "liking her oats too much" is meant to be misconstrued as a comment on sexual appetites, rather than Linda's weight, which has honestly never occurred to me. Given the nature of the Steed/Tara relationship, it seems to make sense and confirm that Steed and Tara "did it". Then they rectify the confusion, and we go back to not knowing.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

It just seems such an easy joke. I'm glad that we realize Steed isn't actually calling the women that he worked with "fillies" or reducing them to poor metaphors about oats and taking the whip to them. The show just reduces them without making the leading man into a total jerk, thank God.

I like TNA a great deal in many ways, but there are times when it goes for the easy laughs/puns - here and in some of the Purdey/Gambit repartee throughout. It always seems to be trying a little too hard to recapture the magic, as it were, and just winds up being a bit crass when it's not being out and out sexist. It got better as time went on, I think.
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

A nice solid spy vs spy story which is what for me has an air of the videotaped episodes about it. 6/10
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Is Purdey the only Avenger Girl who could fight on her back :?: Love her ...Well , how good do I look to Gambit :?: 8)
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I think Emma does some fighting on her back in one - where she's just come out of the river and has wet hair. Can't remember which episode though it is one of the colour ones.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Frankymole wrote:I think Emma does some fighting on her back in one - where she's just come out of the river and has wet hair. Can't remember which episode though it is one of the colour ones.
The Bird Who Knew Too Much?
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:I think Emma does some fighting on her back in one - where she's just come out of the river and has wet hair. Can't remember which episode though it is one of the colour ones.
Isn't it You Have Just Been Murdered? She climbs in the river to retrieve the suitcase, then has a fight. She drags her opponent onto the bank and then holds him in place using her ankles. She doesn't really fight him there, though--the fight's pretty much over by that point and she's using it as a hold.

I love that scene because she magically produces a towel from nowhere and proceeds to dry her hair while she interrogates the guy. Multi-tasking at its finest. :lol:

Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

It might happen in both, but I know that she dives into the pool in The Bird Who Knew Too Much, drags the assassin out of the pool, and holds his neck between her ankles while drying her hair. I haven't watched You Have Just Been Murdered in awhile - something similar might happen there too.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Lhbizness wrote:It might happen in both, but I know that she dives into the pool in The Bird Who Knew Too Much, drags the assassin out of the pool, and holds his neck between her ankles while drying her hair. I haven't watched You Have Just Been Murdered in awhile - something similar might happen there too.
You're right--it's Bird. She gets ahold of a gun in Murdered so she doesn't need to use her feet. Murdered's the one with her magical wet-to-dry hair, so she doesn't need a towel. :wink: