32%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 22

Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I guess it's the way he says it - the line doesn't seem directed solely at Purdey.

Still, it's nice that the episode was constructed like that - both Steed and Mrs. Peel have a chance to tip a Cybernaut over. It was Mrs. Peel's turn, and no one tips this one over.

Why would Gambit ever meet Mrs. Peel, especially given that Steed obviously hasn't been in contact with her for awhile?
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

I'd like to think he's crossed paths with her in some capacity in the past says Timeless-A-Peel . 'None are as good as me ! says Purdey 'One might !' says Gambit 8) Maybe he was thinking of Emma and teasing Purdey that she actually hadn't proven herself to be the best Yet 8) Gambit loved women as did Steed :lol: Purdey has no female competition in The New Avengers -she dismisses The Angels of Death almost effortlessly and probably scored some brownie points to boot :lol: Why she never mentions Emma could certainly have something to do with Gambit ! I reckon Gambit did work with Emma for a short while ! Purdey 'peeping through keyholes
again ' found out and asked Mike how good she was ! Mike's answer ensured
Purdey didn't mention her again :lol:
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Yeah, I never get the impression that Gambit ever met, worked with, or had anything to do with Emma Peel. It doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, I guess it's possible in terms of someone's "headcanon," as it were, but there's really no support for it in the series.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Gambit and Purdey would both have read the extensive files that we see on the shelves labelled for all of Steed's previous partners (except the male doctors and Venus Smith). That's probably as far as their knowledge goes, but it looks like the files are extensive!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I just find it weird that Gambit seems so unsurprised to hear it's Emma on the phone, whereas Purdey's very surprised. I'd say that he's perhaps heard Steed contact her before, but Steed and Emma's conversation doesn't seem to bear that out. But he acts like of course Steed would just phone Emma up on a whim. I've always wondered why.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

We don't really know what Emma's been up to between her exit and the phone call in K is For Kill (except that she's "not Mrs. Peel anymore", which certainly implies she's divorced). So it's possible that she's been working for the Ministry, and could have had the opportunity to meet Gambit at some point. It would just seem weird to me that she's encountered Gambit but not Steed in the past ten years.

Steed and Gambit do get chummy every once in awhile - maybe Steed told him about Mrs. Peel and stated his intention of calling her.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Lhbizness wrote:We don't really know what Emma's been up to between her exit and the phone call in K is For Kill (except that she's "not Mrs. Peel anymore", which certainly implies she's divorced). So it's possible that she's been working for the Ministry, and could have had the opportunity to meet Gambit at some point. It would just seem weird to me that she's encountered Gambit but not Steed in the past ten years.

Steed and Gambit do get chummy every once in awhile - maybe Steed told him about Mrs. Peel and stated his intention of calling her.
Possibly, although if Emma was working for the Ministry, wouldn't she have crossed paths with/be working with Steed? Maybe Gambit has shares in Knight Industries and met her at a shareholders' meeting? :wink:

Or Steed might have just told him beforehand that he was going to phone Emma up to get her take on the case, and Purdey wasn't there to hear it. That's entirely possible. I like the idea of him owning stock, though. I wonder if Steed has Knight Industries in his portfolio? :)

Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Yeah - I just want to think that she went off and did some badass spy things after she split from Peter, instead of managing a company. It's so hard to believe that she wouldn't want to be involved with more active and dangerous work.
hatpeg
Little Wonder

Post by hatpeg »

Lhbizness wrote:Yeah - I just want to think that she went off and did some badass spy things after she split from Peter, instead of managing a company. It's so hard to believe that she wouldn't want to be involved with more active and dangerous work.
It looks like she was so busy in the intervening years, she had no time to buy a new coat!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

hatpeg wrote:
Lhbizness wrote:Yeah - I just want to think that she went off and did some badass spy things after she split from Peter, instead of managing a company. It's so hard to believe that she wouldn't want to be involved with more active and dangerous work.
It looks like she was so busy in the intervening years, she had no time to buy a new coat!
Or update her hairstyle, apparently! :lol:

There's a great little fic out there about Emma getting mixed up in some spy work in the 1970s, crossing paths with a bunch of ITC characters in the process. It's funny how her going back to Knight has sort of become the go-to assumption as to what she did after. Not sure where it came from. Too Many Targets, possibly. I can see her going back to her company for awhile post-splitting from Peter, perhaps to do some soul-searching and to work out her next move. I think Emma would find the inability to make a marriage work would be very frustrating for someone as intelligent, capable, and determined as she is. Going back to the company would be somewhere she felt comfortable until she found her feet. I don't know how she'd feel about espionage without Steed by her side, but there's nothing saying she didn't.