Total votes: 16

shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

One mans meat ...etc ...totally agree :lol: with Frankymole :wink:
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

This is a splendid Avengers/horror cross-over episode that is simply oozes atmosphere and style. In many ways it’s just like an episode of that other classic series of the era Hammer House of Horror, and similarly prioritises setting and mood over fitting in complexities in the plot. In many ways there is no actual plot, with the story developing into a Hitchcock inspired suspense drama as the villain attempts to achieve his goals before the secret services can discover his location and identity. This is influenced by the great director in two regards, as the use of ordinary birds (the feathered variety) to attack people is realised by the director here as a homage to sf/fantasy classic movie The Birds; especially one tense scene involving Purdey in an aviary. UFO and James Bond legend Vladek Sheybal gives a master-class in playing a perfect antagonist who believes in his cause and goes about his activities without descending into caricature. The quality of everything here is spot on with the visual composition of shots, camerawork, direction of the cast, music, sound atmospheres, and the use of real birds wherever possible all being elements worthy of special praise. One of my favourite episodes of The New Avengers, and maybe a story I would consider a favourite within the whole Avengers series – 9/10
Last edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

shaunodan wrote:''... never has an off-the-shoulder number looked so breathtaking .'' Honor Blackman looks incredible in one ... Purdey looks much too thin and bony :o
Nonetheless she still looks one helluva sexy woman posing on motorcycle in pink t-shirt and long boots ...her dialogue excellent :D Fine feathers make fine birds and when Joanna Lumley wears fine feathers...she'd take your breath away 8)
Scott Bot
White Dwarf

Post by Scott Bot »

I'm never quite sure what to make of this episode. On the one hand, it's very good: creepy, atmospheric, and with a great diabolical mastermind and some very witty dialogue. However, I found the ending a little far fetched - when you bring that many cats together in a room, they would probably spend just as much time fighting one another than they would chasing birds. Granted, the effect would have still been the same; birds scattered, Purdey safe, but with a few birds still alive and a few mangled cats around. I know, suspension of disbelief and all that, but it did take away from my complete enjoyment of the episode.

And I can't be the only one who, when Steed goes into the pet shop to purchase the cats, thought that Michael Palin would have had a perfect cameo as the pet shop owner.
Bradstreet
Nutshell

Post by Bradstreet »

Scott Bot: Showing dead people on TV is one thing...showing dead cats and birds is quite another. Pet owners would probably have picketed the studio or something if they had seen anything like that!

It is an excellent episode, and a rather interesting example of the new series attempting to do a very Peel Era story. It's much creepier in tone because it is taking place in the 'real' world, but on the other hand it's not a script that they could ever have adapted for THE PROFESSIONALS.