15%
15%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 13

Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I just think he's so damned smug there at the end, while she's incredibly distressed about having lost him (slight comparison to some of Steed's behavior with Cathy Gale and in Two's A Crowd, but neither of those women burst into tears). I know it's supposed to be about her true feelings towards him etc., however you want to take that, but I like to think that she refused to talk to him for awhile. It was a somewhat unnecessary subterfuge and a bit manipulative on his part - again, shades of Gale-era Steed.

Do they love each other? Perhaps. There's an element of the will they/won't they in the Gambit/Purdey relationship. They're obviously attracted to each other, obviously affectionate, and if she were to ever say yes to him, I think he'd be very dedicated to her.

Purdey, though, is a mysterious character. Given what we know about her past relationships (at least one of them), I wonder if she actually knows what she wants in a man, or if she even wants one at all. There's also a strong attraction between her and Steed, probably because Steed in some ways is the more mature and more stable member of the team. Both Purdey and Gambit are a little closed off, hiding behind their repartee as a way of perhaps avoiding deeper entanglement. I'm not certain whether she trusts Gambit, even if he's shown himself worthy of her trust in previous episodes.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

There's a little bit of Karmic punishment when Gambit backs into the edge of the door (ouch)... He's probably luck Purdey didn't kick him through the window...
Lhbizness wrote: Do they love each other? Perhaps. There's an element of the will they/won't they in the Gambit/Purdey relationship. They're obviously attracted to each other, obviously affectionate, and if she were to ever say yes to him, I think he'd be very dedicated to her.
What have you done with the real Lhbizness! ;) I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said about Gambit.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Frankymole wrote:What have you done with the real Lhbizness! ;) I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said about Gambit.
I don't think Gambit is horrible by any means - just a bit of a sexist dullard at times. When he expresses real affection for Purdey, I think he means it. I'm not 100% convinced that Purdey is certain about him, though, because I'm not convinced that she's certain about what she wants, irrespective of him.
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

...a man, or if she even wants one at all :?: Purdey's character would have developed a lot more with a female working partner :)
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

cyberrich wrote:10/10!!! Although Target is my favourite, Faces is the most fun episode to watch. My very favourite Purdey and Gambit scenes are in this one. The cast look as if they had a hoot filming this one, something the viewer can't help surrendering to. Rich.
I've just watched Faces again. Like many other fans, I have for years considered Target to be the best TNA episode, and I guess I still do. It is too close to call though, as Faces is simply SUPERB :!: :!: Is Faces the best episode after all. 11/10 for this gem. :D
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Faces is the latest episode under review. I'd love to read your reviews once you've had a chance to watch this classic episode. Thanks, Rich. :)
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Faces is the most fun of all TNA episodes, and is a worthy runner up to Target in the best episode stakes. Ludicrous plot developments aside, the fun everyone appeared to be having with this episode is simply infectious. Joanna Lumley displays a wonderful gift for comedy. Her scenes with Gareth Hunt are a delight, and are surely their best in the 26 episode run. Patrick Macnee is a little underused, as he was in most of the first 13 episodes, but he made a convincing tramp here. No easy feat when this is the complete opposite of the sauve Steed. I would have liked a little more involvement with TNA's 'doubles', but what we do have is terrific fun.
Every season had it's double episode. My personal favourite is season 6's They keep killing Steed, but Faces isn't far behind. Episodes such as Target, Sleeper and Faces remind me how brilliant the first block of 13 episodes were. 8) I wish there had been more seasons like it. Faces gets 10/10 from me. Rich.