Epic

Post by Rhonda »

9 for me
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

10/10. My second fave after Target. Similarities obviously to The morning after, but Sleeper is even better! Rich.
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

OK so it's a bit of a second-hand plot but very well done and lots of location work.

(Freewheelers had more recognisable London landmarks (The Mall and Trafalgar Square) but that was easier to achieve a decade earlier).
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

I agree that the plot was kind of second hand. but I gave it a 10 because it was so well orchestrated. Purdey running around in her PJ's was hilarious. And I really liked the fact that Purdey played the part as an adventure rather than grave threat lke the previous Avenger girls might have. Loved the scene with her pants falling down. And thought it was funny she was trying to be a model in a store window when she was a model I believe before becoming an actress.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

anti-clockwise wrote: Loved the scene with her pants falling down. And thought it was funny she was trying to be a model in a store window when she was a model I believe before becoming an actress.
My very favourite scene in Sleeper! Joanna looked incredibly like a mannequin. Brian Clemens has often said they borrowed from everywhere in The Avengers, and I located the inspiration for this scene a few months ago when I rewatched The Omega man, a brilliant thriller with Charlton Heston. In the scene where Heston enters the deserted department store he hears a noise and turns around. All he can see are the mannequins he passed earlier.....SPOILER ALERT! You'll have to watch the movie, but I think Clemens borrowed this scene for Sleeper and added a good dose of humour too!
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

NickP wrote:Freewheelers had more recognisable London landmarks (The Mall and Trafalgar Square) but that was easier to achieve a decade earlier.
... especially with a maverick producer / director who, despite failing to get the necessary clearances, pressed ahead with a dawn shoot before anyone could stop him!
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

10/10

One of the best. A really great all location episode. All Lumley's sequences are the best as she gets some fun action as well as humour (my Mum and Dad remember the scene of her pretending to be a mannequin and her trousers keep falling down) - I love that long running shot that just keeps going, I hope they didn't need a retake. Effective direction.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I think it's one of the very best in the two mini-seasons, atmospheric and cleverly crafted with plenty of fun and a dramatic undercurrent.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Purdey's p.j.'s very Eastern! Kung Fu influence here maybe :)