Epic

Post by Rhonda »

3 for me
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

7 from me. Gnaws is nowhere near as bad as some people make out. It could have been slightly better. More menace in the sewers might have been achieved with a swarm of rats the size of dogs, rather than one rat the size of an elephant. Maybe if Clemens had borrowed a bit more liberally from the classic novel by James Herbert (The Rats) published a couple of years earlier, then this might have achieved more. Although not a classic, it's still a very good episode. Very happy to see someone has given this 10! Hands up whoever you are. :D Rich.
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

Being so studio bound knocks it down one point below average for me.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

NickP wrote:4.

Being so studio bound knocks it down one point below average for me.
Given that a lot of it's set in a sewer, I suspect the cast were quite happy it wasn't shot on location. :wink:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

8/10

It's a good fun, solid, very watchable episode for me. Some great humour for the leads (as always) and a good guest cast. Ray Austin does a decent job through the rat attacks don't always work well and the idea of the machine possibly doing the attacks doesn't sit with the reality of the sets and makes everyone look a bit daft.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

10/10

This can be directly attributed to the genre of Horror - more than any other episode. When in 1997 I was asked in Russia if I could to show them something terrible in The Avengers - I demonstrated this episode. Well, many people doubted that they would see the horrors in The Avengers, but after watching - all were amazed.
In my opinion the episode made more interesting than for example the movie "Jaws". Yes, I compare with the classics. If the primary concern is the mechanism - to scare the viewer, then the first step is to create the necessary surroundings and frightening place of action.
The darkness? Sewage? The small amount of actors? Something more sinister? Right and everything is there. You will not carry it to the genre of Adventure as the film Jaws, here Chiller and cold on the skin.
Here, hunting is not a shark or Moby Dick - here real monster. This monster is so greedy that you start to worry about our heroes. :D The actors show great fear - the fear of what is required for the genre. In the movie " Jaws " I have not seen such fear as in the eyes of Peter Cellier or Julian Holloway.
As a result, the authors achieve the desired effect, and I was grateful to them for the first viewing of the episode. Although it is not style TNA, however a large episode.
In Finland, it was released on license VHS together with the episode The Eagle's Nest.

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/wonders_fin_vhs.htm

Denis
Topaze
Nutshell

Post by Topaze »

This episode was the favorite of my grand father! :D
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Topaze wrote:This episode was the favorite of my grand father! :D
Interesting about your grandfather. :lol: I think it is an episode that people love or hate. I rather liked it myself although the rat did not look too realistic.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

No where near as bad as it is made out to be, it's a nice tightly constructed story.