Epic

Post by Rhonda »

4 for me
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

i thought this was a delightful episode. The scene with Purdey going through the car wash to save a hand print on a car was priceless. And coming out with blow dryed hair and a pristine outfit was hilarious. One of the best Purdey scenes in TNA.

If the plot had been tightened up a bit I think it would have shown better. But I rather am fond of this one and the little old lady was great for the part.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

anti-clockwise wrote:i thought this was a delightful episode. The scene with Purdey going through the car wash to save a hand print on a car was priceless. And coming out with blow dryed hair and a pristine outfit was hilarious. One of the best Purdey scenes in TNA.

If the plot had been tightened up a bit I think it would have shown better. But I rather am fond of this one and the little old lady was great for the part.
Purdey looks great in a miniskirt but the boots should have shrunk to mid-calf :wink: or was she wearing thigh-boots before going through the car wash ? :)
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Oh dear. This and Trap are in the running for worst TNA episode, and perhaps worst Avengers episode period. Yet another tired "the traitor in our midst" trope, this time confusingly incorporated with the Canadian setting that makes zero sense (was there any reason why they couldn't have used Canadian location shooting and still claimed it was Britain?). The pacing is atrocious, taking what should be an exciting car chase and making it turgid. The whole concept, furthermore, is ill in keeping with TNA's more realistic aspects - it strains for humor right across the board. Steed is weirdly paranoid, Gambit more than usually repugnant (his "waxing" comment), and Purdey nothing but eye candy. The Canadian actors are dreadful, and the "rural humor" is broader than a Carry On film. I've seen this twice now and it was actually worse the second time around. If I was a Canadian, I'd be furious at a show representing my country this way.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The traitor's identity/handprint is just a Macguffin really.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

Well, I always enjoy this episode and never weary of rewatching it :D

What's wrong with having the team move to Canada, plot wise or production wise? For me its always been a major bonus to see how a 1970s crime/fantasy drama filmed and set in North America would look with a familiar British cast. I'm not sure what's wrong with parody characters since that was a central part of the format in the Peel/King era. I'm not disgraced to see British culture portrayed as it is the Diana Rigg episodes - full of snobs, lunatics and cheap crooks! The Avengers never was docu-drama about real crime, even the Cathy Gale era had a strong quirky aspect.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:Well, I always enjoy this episode and never weary of rewatching it :D

What's wrong with having the team move to Canada, plot wise or production wise? For me its always been a major bonus to see how a 1970s crime/fantasy drama filmed and set in North America would look with a familiar British cast. I'm not sure what's wrong with parody characters since that was a central part of the format in the Peel/King era. I'm not disgraced to see British culture portrayed as it is the Diana Rigg episodes - full of snobs, lunatics and cheap crooks! The Avengers never was docu-drama about real crime, even the Cathy Gale era had a strong quirky aspect.
I always found TNA very out of place when they went to Canada - some of this has to do with some very bad Canadian actors filling the secondary parts. Steed is always something of an anachronism, but he somehow makes better sense at a country estate or driving around London than visiting the so-called "hill people" of Canada. That, by the way, is where I found this episode embarrassing - these were not just caricatured characters of hillbillies and country rubes, they were BAD caricatures that belonged in The Beverly Hill-Billies. There was no sense of satire - this was one country making fun of another, not a country making fun of itself. And, really, the jokes are just bad.

TNA does purport to have more of a realistic aspect than previous Avengers series, with the possible exception of Season 2. In my opinion, the Canadian episodes generally feel like they're trying to do two, sometimes three, things at once, and doing none of them well. Most I can say for this episode is that Steed's looking very fit and healthy.
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

...and Purdey nothing more than eye candy :?: kicking down doors , hurdling and sprinting like an olympic champion, wiping the floor with Gambit when it comes to drinking AND fighting (with a right hook like Tyson). Some eye candy 8) Purdey shows she's got it all in Emily :)
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Lhbizness wrote:Oh dear. This and Trap are in the running for worst TNA episode, and perhaps worst Avengers episode period. Yet another tired "the traitor in our midst" trope, this time confusingly incorporated with the Canadian setting that makes zero sense (was there any reason why they couldn't have used Canadian location shooting and still claimed it was Britain?). The pacing is atrocious, taking what should be an exciting car chase and making it turgid. The whole concept, furthermore, is ill in keeping with TNA's more realistic aspects - it strains for humor right across the board. Steed is weirdly paranoid, Gambit more than usually repugnant (his "waxing" comment), and Purdey nothing but eye candy. The Canadian actors are dreadful, and the "rural humor" is broader than a Carry On film. I've seen this twice now and it was actually worse the second time around. If I was a Canadian, I'd be furious at a show representing my country this way.
Wow, I really disagree.

I super enjoy this episode! There is only one flaw in it--one MAJOR flaw--and that is when Steed yells for Gambit for help fighting in the mechanics garage. What the hell? That was so out of character for Steed and so against everything else we have seen of his capacity to defend himself, even against Gambit, that it struck me raw and is still totally irritating to me.

Between that and Steed standing still to get knocked out (AGAIN!) by the Cybernaut, TNA did a good overall job as a series in well portraying Steed.

Otherwise, this is a fun, light-hearted romp. The bowler over the handprint, Steed knowing how to temporarily fix the engine, with eggs he apologizes to the chicken for taking (and pays for), was terrific. The drive through the country, the idiocy of the moon-shiner; yeah, it's not Shakespeare, but for another hour of relaxing Steed (etal) watch, it's refreshingly fine.

The fantasy of Purdey's car wash episode is amusing.

It always surprises me how many episodes so many fans of the show dislike. But, then again, I'm pretty easy. If it has Steed, it's already at least a 6/10 scale.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk