Making it New? A Reappraisal of The New Avengers

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Making it New? A Reappraisal of The New Avengers

Post by Rodders »

My plan to write a new book about the show, this time centering on The New Avengers is beginning to see the light. I have written chapters on The Eagle's Nest and The Last of the Cybernauts...? and hope to complete the project before Christmas. I will keep the site updated on my progress and would welcome any suggestions, comments etc. about the 26 episodes.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

Great stuff Rodders - I see that the series is getting another repeat in the UK on ITV4 from next Monday.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Maybe they'll show "Target!" this time?
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Making it New? A Reappraisal of The New Avengers

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:My plan to write a new book about the show, this time centering on The New Avengers is beginning to see the light. I have written chapters on The Eagle's Nest and The Last of the Cybernauts...? and hope to complete the project before Christmas. I will keep the site updated on my progress and would welcome any suggestions, comments etc. about the 26 episodes.
good luck..and I'll be waiting...as this sounds promising
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Chapters now complete on To Catch a Rat and Cat Amongst the Pigeons. Target in sight, forgive the awful pun. In the book, I've tried to convince NA fans that Cat Amongst the Pigeons represents the series at its very best, which is quite a challenge given the luke-warm reception this episode usually receives. Underrated, in my opinion.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Rodders wrote: In the book, I've tried to convince NA fans that Cat Amongst the Pigeons represents the series at its very best, which is quite a challenge given the luke-warm reception this episode usually receives. Underrated, in my opinion.
Yes, I find several TNA fans baffling with their disregard of Cat amongst the pigeons. It is, as you say, one of the very best TNA episodes and has always been a 10/10 classic IMHO! :D Rich.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

cyberrich wrote:
Rodders wrote: In the book, I've tried to convince NA fans that Cat Amongst the Pigeons represents the series at its very best, which is quite a challenge given the luke-warm reception this episode usually receives. Underrated, in my opinion.
Yes, I find several TNA fans baffling with their disregard of Cat amongst the pigeons. It is, as you say, one of the very best TNA episodes and has always been a 10/10 classic IMHO! :D Rich.
I've always thought that Cat Amongst the Pigeons was generally a well-regarded part of the TNA pantheon. I personally think it's quite good. However, I feel there's something lacking on the character front. There are lots of good moments, but it just doesn't have the same zing as a Faces or Target. It also has a scene where Steed and Gambit are rather patronising to Purdey, simply for the sake of splitting them up for the remainder of the episode, and it feels so out-of-character and so gratuitous, it sticks in my craw every time I see it. So it's certainly not bad, quite tense, definitely enjoyable, but it doesn't stick in the mind quite the same way.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

"Cat Amongst..." is definitely a 9 out of 10 episode for me.

There's a poll thread this-a-way: http://avengersfanforum.s2.bizhat.com/v ... rsfanforum
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
I've always thought that Cat Amongst the Pigeons was generally a well-regarded part of the TNA pantheon. I personally think it's quite good. However, I feel there's something lacking on the character front. There are lots of good moments, but it just doesn't have the same zing as a Faces or Target. It also has a scene where Steed and Gambit are rather patronising to Purdey, simply for the sake of splitting them up for the remainder of the episode, and it feels so out-of-character and so gratuitous, it sticks in my craw every time I see it. So it's certainly not bad, quite tense, definitely enjoyable, but it doesn't stick in the mind quite the same way.
I think Steed and Gambit's comment is decidely tongue in cheek, and as Purdey simply ignores their order and spends the time hunting down the Sanctuary of Wings she comes out of it pretty well. The direction in this episode is experimental and the locations are wonderfully atmospheric. I'd take Zarcardi as a diabolical mastermind any day over Draker who dresses like a secondhand car salesman.

Target chapter now written up!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Rodders wrote:I think Steed and Gambit's comment is decidely tongue in cheek, and as Purdey simply ignores their order and spends the time hunting down the Sanctuary of Wings she comes out of it pretty well. The direction in this episode is experimental and the locations are wonderfully atmospheric. I'd take Zarcardi as a diabolical mastermind any day over Draker who dresses like a secondhand car salesman.

Target chapter now written up!
It's delivered quite lightheartedly, but it still grates. There's a definite sense of "We're going to go off and do important and investigating and you stay here and make the tea" vibe coming off it. The fact that Purdey goes and figures it out on her own doesn't negate the way the scene plays out. It feels out of character for both Steed and Gambit to say it, and just as out of character for Purdey to accept it without so much as a wry comment. The dynamics within the team are key to TNA--or at least they are for me-, so things like that affect my enjoyment quite a bit, particularly as I don't go looking for them. So if it feels off, it really feels off. It seems like a really clumsy attempt to wedge in a plot point by temporarily suspending all the characterisation. They could have done it another way that didn't feel anywhere near as contrived.

That sour note aside, there's a lot to recommend it, I agree. Vladek Sheybal is brilliant, and actually manages to make Zarcardi sympathetic (or as sympathetic as possible under the circumstances). I can think of lots of good points about it, but it sort of falls between the cracks when I think of season one as a whole. I couldn't tell you why.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14