Season 4: A creative idea

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Season 4: A creative idea

Post by Rodders »

Having explored the Emma Peel era in Subversive Champagne and then the Tara and The New Avengers eras it has not exhausted my enthusiasm. Quite the reverse. A number of French friends have asked me to return to the monochrome filmed season in order to explore all 26 episodes, in far more detail: scripts, plot, sets, locations, guest characters, directors, music, the lot, in minute, loving detail. The ultimate critical guide to arguably the show’s pinnacle.

I had got as far as a working title, Bright Horizons, with one thought being that this was the Season 4 writers’ given for the tag scenes, as our heroes went away ‘towards a bright horizon’. It reflects the formula, but also the new fantasy world which the show on film was exploring. It was then that I thought how exciting it would be to create a joint project. We have so many incredible people on this forum. Not only lovers of the series, but people with serious brain power and unique ideas: Timeless, Rich, Frank, Denis, Alan, Jaz etc. The list is almost endless. How thrilling would it be if everyone adopted an episode, or two, and we produced a book which offers a ‘plurality of voices’ rather than simply my own limited, monotone one? I’d be happy to edit the book and also ‘fill in any gaps’. Chapters would be about 1,500 – 2,000 words, possibly, and it would allow our virtual community to break out into the real one. I would love to hear from anyone willing to throw their creative/critical hats into the ring. Deadline? 3 months!
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I think it's a brilliant idea, Rodney! :D A real collaborative forum effort. I'd love to take part. A three month deadline would work perfectly for me, too, as I'm going to be quite busy for the next month or so, but I'll have a break after that to sit and write it. If you do it, you can sign me up! :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

It is a 'definite'. So which episode/s can I sign you up for?
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Excellent idea.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Rodders wrote:It is a 'definite'. So which episode/s can I sign you up for?
It's so hard to choose! I've been going through the list, and there are so many great episodes in there. My all-time favourite is Death at Bargain Prices, and I think it's quite possibly the best episode of the series. But I'd actually prefer to write for lesser-known episodes that I enjoy, as opposed to some of the usual suspects, like The Cybernauts or The Hour That Never Was, not because they're not good, but because they've been written about so exhaustively in so many other places, that I feel I have little left to add. So I'd like to pick The Quick-Quick Slow Death, which I've always thought was fun, but which never seems to get much love, and The Thirteenth Hole, if you'd like me to do a second. They both tend to get lost in the shuffle, so they're fresh territory to explore. :) But I could quite literally write about just about any of them. :lol:

cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Great idea Rodney. I'm more than happy to make a contribution. I feel there may be a rush to write about The Hour that never was and Cybernauts, my very favourites, but I would be happy to write about any episode in this fantastic season. Too many Xmas trees, Death at bargain prices, Town of no return, the list is endless and simply an embarrassment of riches! Rich.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Ah, Deadline! And not a Dead Duck :)

Rodney's idea is marvellous, though I wouldn't know where to start. I certainly couldn't bid for an episode - I'd prefer to write about ones that no-one else wanted to write about. Perhaps I should get a cast-off, unloved (or less-loved) one...
Last edited by Frankymole on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:Ah, Deadline! And not a http://deadduck.theavengers.tv/deadduck.htm :)

Rodney's idea is marvellous, though I wouldn't know where to start. I certainly couldn't bid for an episode - I'd prefer to write about ones that no-one else wanted to write about. Perhaps I should get a cast-off, unloved (or less-loved) one...
That's kind of what I'm shooting for as well--giving some love to the under-appreciated episodes that no one ever mentions. I know you could do them justice. :)

Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Rodders wrote:It is a 'definite'. So which episode/s can I sign you up for?
It's so hard to choose! I've been going through the list, and there are so many great episodes in there. My all-time favourite is Death at Bargain Prices, and I think it's quite possibly the best episode of the series. But I'd actually prefer to write for lesser-known episodes that I enjoy, as opposed to some of the usual suspects, like The Cybernauts or The Hour That Never Was, not because they're not good, but because they've been written about so exhaustively in so many other places, that I feel I have little left to add. So I'd like to pick The Quick-Quick Slow Death, which I've always thought was fun, but which never seems to get much love, and The Thirteenth Hole, if you'd like me to do a second. They both tend to get lost in the shuffle, so they're fresh territory to explore. :) But I could quite literally write about just about any of them. :lol:
I've put you down for those two. You are a star.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Frankymole wrote: I'd prefer to write about ones that no-one else wanted to write about. Perhaps I should get a cast-off, unloved (or less-loved) one...
I like the sound of that. An appreciation of the underappreciated :!: Classic episodes like A surfeit of H2O never receive the plaudits they deserve. Rich.