Bright Horizons book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Bright Horizons book

Post by Rodders »

I have opened this thread in order to allow readers/writers to offer feedback. It goes without saying that positive feedback is welcomed for individual essays while I am happy to receive any 'positive criticism' in terms of the structure etc. of the book.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Ground breaking book! Congrats to all. I just got it but I am impressed with every contributor I have read so far. It is really refreshing to read different writing styles and different approaches. And of course Rodney's own efforts shine through with the foreword/afterword. Of course I could write a book about the book here but I found Frank Hui's How to Succeed at Murder very profound. He brilliantly tied in a social commentary of the times about feminism/antifeminism in the episode in a way that really showed how much he understood that episode. Sam of course as promised delivered brilliantly and did not miss a beat or even a candle.
I noticed some people did a fair amount of research for their chapters which added to making their chapter compelling. If anyone cares to share how they did their research it would be very interesting.
I loved Rich's cybernaut just for the mere fact that I never realized that half the show passed before the metal man appeared. Very different than the mexican cybernaut posted here awhile ago that got boring quickly chop after chop.
And I got through half of the Brimstones. The shear enthusiasm of James made that chapter very enjoyable. Blasphemy they took out Emma's measurements. And Frankymole just has one of the best writing styles around. Such a compelling intro in two's a crowd. that's as far as I've gotten. And best part from Roger Marshall-now we know how John Steed got his name!

Post by Rodders »

anti-clockwise wrote:And best part from Roger Marshall-now we know how John Steed got his name!
My dad simply meant that his version of Steed was inspired by 'Bunny'. Still, I like the fact that for once the location created the script, rather than vice versa.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Some of the best chapters in my opinion are shorter ones. Timeless shows that economy of language is often the best policy.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I've just read the "Castle De'Ath" episode and it captures the wit and humour splendidly. Some of Steed's wry comments and amusing asides are laugh out loud funny, the chapter sums it up so well that I feel like I've just watched it again - this time with much more awareness of the levity in the script, which tends to get overshadowed when one is tensely watching, worried about sinister goings-on and being made even more full of suspense by the incidental music...
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

That's something which I always try to include in my chapters: decent quotes from the episode. Probably a result of years spent studying literature at university. I think the dialogue is so great it's a shame not to include some of it. I was almost tempted to include a quotations section in the back of the book. Maybe a future project: the Avengers book of quotations!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Corrections have been made and will be added to the online copy on Tuesday. Order after Thursday and you will be safe. I'm not taking on board 'revisions', solely errors: factual or typo.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

There were so few that it really isn't worth ordering a new one unless you are a perfectionist! In which case, of course, you'll never be happy with the contents anyway!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Just realised that this last message sounds like a teacher! With Mrs. Peel, We're Needed underway - and the Tara King book as well, I do now need to move on. Personally, I love this book and I think we are going to have a fantastic four volume collection to enjoy. It's never perfect but if I have learnt one thing from Subversive Champagne then it is that you have to finally put it to bed and move on. Avengerland moves in to colour for me now and I'm proud of our (first) collective achievement.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Rodders wrote:Some of the best chapters in my opinion are shorter ones. Timeless shows that economy of language is often the best policy.
This is a huge compliment, as I'm actually notoriously wordy and am forever cutting things down to get within the length limit. Maybe my love of the subject matter let me zero in on what wanted to say. 8)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14