No Continuity

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

No Continuity

Post by darren »

For such a long running series, the show had little to no continuity to speak of.

Things that come to mind are like in Escape in Time where Emma does some sowing and Steed comments that he'd known her all that time and didn't know she could sow (there relationship hadn't been domestic) yet prior to that he'd seen her sowing (I forget the episode).

Benson/Cybernauts in Return of the Cybernauts and Brodny in See-Through Man are rare occasions of a non-regular returning.

Much of the time the episodes existed in their own universe that had no connection other than the characters to what had gone before.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

At the time British and for that fact American film series were made so TV stations could show them in any order, thus any long term continuity elements would end up out of order and confusing to viewers.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I think there is a continuity of character, however - and you can certainly see a relationship arc between Steed and Mrs. Peel, and Steed and Cathy. Also little things, like Emma repainting her apartment in The Hidden Tiger - I think it remains the same color through the rest of the season.

The characters and their relationships developed, even if the series didn't explicitly reference what came before.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Lhbizness wrote:I think there is a continuity of character, however - and you can certainly see a relationship arc between Steed and Mrs. Peel, and Steed and Cathy. Also little things, like Emma repainting her apartment in The Hidden Tiger - I think it remains the same color through the rest of the season.

The characters and their relationships developed, even if the series didn't explicitly reference what came before.
maybe the series was broadcasted from an alternative Earth ?
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

There is a bit of a continuity in season 3 as over a few episodes Steed is trying to purchase so Polo Ponies and later on admits the ponies lost interest in the game and got more interested in each other.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I wonder if Emma's "modern art" sculpture (drilling and chiselling bits out of a concrete block) is coming along more in some episodes, or if it always had the same bits finished.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:I wonder if Emma's "modern art" sculpture (drilling and chiselling bits out of a concrete block) is coming along more in some episodes, or if it always had the same bits finished.
That's a good question! I've never tracked it by episode, but surely it must look a bit different in-between, if only because Emma does chip away at it during the course of the scene.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I guess I should watch them in production order! She always seemed very gentle with it, when a block that size must've need some walloping great chunks removed to get as far as it had. Maybe it was a project she wanted to spin out for a long time. I wouldn't have been surprised to see it - still no more complete - in K is for Kill's "flashback"!
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I love Emma's little art projects and Steed's constant confusion with them - one of those nice touches that carries through her two seasons.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

And I did wonder if her "exploded molecular" construction was art or science - or both!