Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots: The Ultimate Avengers Book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

NOEL wrote:
MikeR wrote:Noel

I'm not aware of any problems with the first season information in Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots.
sci fi online was saying that it was I'm not saying it is ture they could be wrong.
Noel

The review of Sci Fi online is almost a year old and so all the amendments have been made to all electronic and the American print versions of Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots.

The timing of Hot Snow he claims to be 15 minutes long, but if you take a look at the first act on the Optimum DVD, you’ll see I was correct there with my 21 minutes.

At the moment there are no plans to reprint the UK print version of the book, although the last time I spoke with Stephen James Walker of Telos Publishing, he informed me that they only had double figures left and that was months ago. If it were to be reprinted then all amendments would be incorporated. Personally I had hoped to locate substantially more information to make any reprint worth buying, such as locating the remaining Daily Production Reports for the outstanding Rigg episodes and The New Avengers.

However, my searching has not yielded any results. Exchanging emails with Brian Clemens weeks before his death with regard to both his paperwork and that of the late Albert Fennell, failed to discover any material. The reports could have gone to copyright holder Studio Canal, as upon his death Albert Fennell’s personal papers went to a solicitor who disposed of them after winding up his estate.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I'm at Series 6. I loved the beginning since I have that peculiar passion for the mysterious Bryce era, like the set from a scene of the original pilot later used as Mother's frontyard in 'the forget me knot'.

I also needed to move on to 'Homicide and Old Lace'--I couldn't wait-- to see if there were more pieces of the puzzle to find and indeed, I loved the description of all the scenes the original Bryce material contained. How did you get that? I asked Alan the other day if one could have a look at the original 'great gb crime' script nowadays and he said yes but at the BFI only. Shame they don't make an online copy. I wish I knew the dialogue from those missing scenes.
And I think we now know who the guy with Patrick Macnee is--his character's name-- in one photo on the Optimum dvd taken on an unknown set, some scene deleted for the final Clemens material. That unknown character who has a spacious living-room or office must be the one who works with Korff as well: a man called Hobson.

There's also a photo from the original ending somewhere on Ebay, it confirms or accompanies as I should say, what you say Mike in the book. Tara reveals she's got the real crown jewels.

Why can't we find this unseen material? (Also a bit thank you for listing all the 'invitation to....' material used in the remake. Another point I didn't know: Osonga, Nsonga's name in the Bryce episode).
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

JohnSteedFr wrote:I'm at Series 6. I loved the beginning since I have that peculiar passion for the mysterious Bryce era, like the set from a scene of the original pilot later used as Mother's frontyard in 'the forget me knot'.

I also needed to move on to 'Homicide and Old Lace'--I couldn't wait-- to see if there were more pieces of the puzzle to find and indeed, I loved the description of all the scenes the original Bryce material contained. How did you get that? I asked Alan the other day if one could have a look at the original 'great gb crime' script nowadays and he said yes but at the BFI only. Shame they don't make an online copy. I wish I knew the dialogue from those missing scenes.
And I think we now know who the guy with Patrick Macnee is--his character's name-- in one photo on the Optimum dvd taken on an unknown set, some scene deleted for the final Clemens material. That unknown character who has a spacious living-room or office must be the one who works with Korff as well: a man called Hobson.

There's also a photo from the original ending somewhere on Ebay, it confirms or accompanies as I should say, what you say Mike in the book. Tara reveals she's got the real crown jewels.

Why can't we find this unseen material? (Also a bit thank you for listing all the 'invitation to....' material used in the remake. Another point I didn't know: Osonga, Nsonga's name in the Bryce episode).
Joris

Alan is correct, the only example of the shooting script to The Great, Great Britain Crime, I know of exists at the British Film Institute and I visited their reading room in the National Film Theatre, on the south bank of the River Thames on the 16th January 2013.

Initially, I went to look at the outlines for unmade Avengers episodes from the Eric Paice collection, but I saw this on their list and hoped that it was a shooting script and so it would more or less be what was filmed for the actual episode. Luckily it was the shooting script and so I read through it and made notes as I went, particularly regarding the scenes which do not appear in Homicide and Old Lace.

It would be extremely good if the BFI and British Library put all their TV and film collections and industry publications into an on-line archive. I have suggested this to the guy who runs the British Library and suggested that the scanning would be paid for by charging a fee to allow access, just like Screenonline or the Variety Archive. But unfortunately the response I received was that they did not have to be cost effective because they have the backing of the British Government, which to me does seem to be an out of date attitude.
Noel
Little Wonder

Post by Noel »

MikeR wrote:
NOEL wrote:

I'm not aware of any problems with the first season information in Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots.
sci fi online was saying that it was I'm not saying it is ture they could be wrong.
Noel

The review of Sci Fi online is almost a year old and so all the amendments have been made to all electronic and the American print versions of Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots.

The timing of Hot Snow he claims to be 15 minutes long, but if you take a look at the first act on the Optimum DVD, you’ll see I was correct there with my 21 minutes.

At the moment there are no plans to reprint the UK print version of the book, although the last time I spoke with Stephen James Walker of Telos Publishing, he informed me that they only had double figures left and that was months ago. If it were to be reprinted then all amendments would be incorporated. Personally I had hoped to locate substantially more information to make any reprint worth buying, such as locating the remaining Daily Production Reports for the outstanding Rigg episodes and The New Avengers.

However, my searching has not yielded any results. Exchanging emails with Brian Clemens weeks before his death with regard to both his paperwork and that of the late Albert Fennell, failed to discover any material. The reports could have gone to copyright holder Studio Canal, as upon his death Albert Fennell’s personal papers went to a solicitor who disposed of them after winding up his estate.
Thank you very much for that so how would I get hold of a US copy of the book if that is better thent he UK one.
The Avengers will always be in my heart like it always will be in your's

ABC Your Weekend Television in The North & The Midlands

Last Listed To: "Dragonfield"

Last Watched: "Dial a Deadly Number"
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Noel

Amazon USA stock it.
Noel
Little Wonder

Post by Noel »

Amazon USA stock it.
so that is a better copy to get then and how do I know that it is a USA copy.

MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Noel

I think that's something you'll have to take up with Amazon.
Noel
Little Wonder

Post by Noel »

I think that's something you'll have to take up with Amazon.
ok just wish the UK book was ok would be a lot easier to get hold off. Thanks for all your help and time.

Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Mike, as you know I love the book, but if you do update it, it would be nice to have Colin Finbow's take on Surfeit of H20 rather than BC's standard 'I wrote it'.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Rodders wrote:Mike, as you know I love the book, but if you do update it, it would be nice to have Colin Finbow's take on Surfeit of H20 rather than BC's standard 'I wrote it'.
Rodney

Any reprinting is down to Steve James Walker and David J. Howe of Telos Publishing and if they think there's still a market out there for another edition of Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots.

As I said, should another chunk of informative paperwork suddenly turn up then I'd be most interested in sharing it through another printing.