Avengers Conference

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Avengers Conference

Post by Rodders »

Having thrown out the idea of creating a four volume study of The Avengers on film some time ago, I have another suggestion to put out on this wonderful forum. I am proposing a long weekend based in the UK in the summer of 2015. It would include the screening of a number of episodes and guest appearances by the writer or director or guest actor from each of the chosen episodes. There would be informal seminars on chosen themes/eras but, far more importantly, the rare chance to meet up with other Avengers fans from around the world.
The venue would be Brettenham Park, a Victorian gothic mansion with conference facilities and plenty of accommodation (not luxurious as it is a boarding school!) There is a huge park, pool and tennis etc for those wanting to exercise. Catering would be provided on site.
I am looking to make this event very, very cheap, if not free of charge. Obviously it is not easy to organise this type of weekend but if there is any interest then I will look at turning the dream into reality, as we did with Bright Horizons.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Sounds very interesting! Very much enjoyed the conferences we've attended at Chichester and Reading so would definitely see if this was practical for Julie and myself.

All the best

Andrew
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

This sounds like a very positive idea to me and I would be interested in attending such an event.
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

Count me in!
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

Sounds suspiciously like The Masterminds to me - will there be compulsory brainwashing at night ?

Slightly more seriously though - I like the idea of a gathering like this, but not sure if I'd want to spend a whole weekend trapped in a remote corner of East Anglia. A one or two day event closer to London would appeal to me more.
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Regarding accommodation, we'd need to know that double rooms as well as single rooms were available (which I guess might be a problem with a school). This is why we didn't stay on site at Chichester. The facilities at Reading claimed to be double but - with the best will in the world - that was pushing it.

Alternatively if there's a local Premier Inn or something not too pricey, that'd do us.

East Anglia would be fine for us.

All the best

Andrew
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Speed Six wrote:Sounds suspiciously like The Masterminds to me - will there be compulsory brainwashing at night ?

Slightly more seriously though - I like the idea of a gathering like this, but not sure if I'd want to spend a whole weekend trapped in a remote corner of East Anglia. A one or two day event closer to London would appeal to me more.

need to wear special ear plugs..lol.....man, i could really fancy being apart of this..

oh welll...
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Not sure if remote really applies to an hour from North London and the beautiful town of Lavenham three minutes away. Anyway, I will put together some more concrete ideas/plans. The school setting is very much Avengerland with giant chest board and a house straight out of Too Many Christmas Trees.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
philC
White Dwarf

Post by philC »

Definitely interested - great idea. I would have to be at Death's Door to miss it...

Phil C
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:Not sure if remote really applies to an hour from North London and the beautiful town of Lavenham three minutes away. Anyway, I will put together some more concrete ideas/plans. The school setting is very much Avengerland with giant chest board and a house straight out of Too Many Christmas Trees.
any chance of having it in the United States ??? LOL