How to succeed...at murdering an episode

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

How to succeed...at murdering an episode

Post by cyberrich »

This week I watched How to succeed...at murder. A lot of fans don't seem to appreciate this particular episode for some reason. Not a top 10 episode admittedly, but I've always enjoyed this one. Silly and a bit OTT, maybe, but not in a bad way. This is a typical Brian Clemens episode and does seem to display a lot of the formula of his particular style of writing. You have to admire the cheek of The Avengers sometimes though. How many other series would have a secretary donning a helmet before blowing her boss out of an office window. My one gripe is that Mrs Peel doesn't appear until the 11th minute. Far too long a wait and maybe the longest ever wait for our favourite heroine to make an appearance. Lots to enjoy in this one, but even on first viewing I did see the 'twist' coming well before Brian Clemens would maybe have wished. The scene where Henry picks up Henrietta and flees from Steed , before being ordered by Henrietta to 'Kill him Henry. Kill him', always seems to make me laugh. Hopefully that was the intention!
18TH BEST SEASON 4 EPISODE. RATING 7 OUT OF 10
Last edited by cyberrich on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Re: How to succeed...at murdering an episode

Post by DiVicenzo »

cyberrich wrote:This week I watched How to succeed...at murder. A lot of fans don't seem to appreciate this particular episode for some reason. Not a top 10 episode admittedly, but I've always enjoyed this one. Silly and a bit OTT, maybe, but not in a bad way. This is a typical Brian Clemens episode and does seem to display a lot of the formula of his particular style of writing. You have to admire the cheek of The Avengers sometimes though. How many other series would have a secretary donning a helmet before blowing her boss out of an office window. My one gripe is that Mrs Peel doesn't appear until the 11th minute. Far too long a wait and maybe the longest ever wait for our favourite heroine to make an appearance. Lots to enjoy in this one, but even on first viewing I did see the 'twist' coming well before Brian Clemens would maybe have wished. The scene where Henry picks up Henrietta and flees from Steed , before being ordered by Henrietta to 'Kill him Henry. Kill him', always seem to make me laugh. Hopefully that was the intention!
18TH BEST SEASON 4 EPISODE RATING 7 OUT OF 10
I love this episode and always remembered from when I saw it 65/66 (when it was first broadcast) Henrietta or that she was a puppet/ doll.
I love Brian Clemens' episodes - they are always pure Avengers!
And, when you are 9/ 10 believe you didn't see the twist coming but I only ever waited for Emma anyway! Yes, 11 minutes is far too long!
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

I really enjoy this episode too and even though it's not one of the very best from season 4, there's still a lot to like about it. The plot is interesting and having the secretaries take orders from a puppet was a great idea by Brian Clemens and is classic Avengers. Also, the scene with Emma and J.J. Hooter is hysterical. :lol:
Allen
costumr
Nutshell

Post by costumr »

I am also a big fan of HTSAM. I was 14 when I first saw it and was completely mesmerized. The secretaries killing their bosses. J.J. Hooter yelling "Leap into My Fervid Arms!" The spooky puppet. Even if it falls apart at the end, I still loved it for its Avengersisms.
As a side note, if you notice what Sara is wearing in the episode (the lame dress and fur) you can see that she first wore the same dress and probably the same fur in "Intercrime." She probably had to provide her own wardrobe.
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

costumr wrote:I am also a big fan of HTSAM. I was 14 when I first saw it and was completely mesmerized. The secretaries killing their bosses. J.J. Hooter yelling "Leap into My Fervid Arms!" The spooky puppet. Even if it falls apart at the end, I still loved it for its Avengersisms.
As a side note, if you notice what Sara is wearing in the episode (the lame dress and fur) you can see that she first wore the same dress and probably the same fur in "Intercrime." She probably had to provide her own wardrobe.

And yes, of course the fabulous JJ Hotter is in this episode! He's a fabulous Avengers eccentric :D
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

"Ruination of all men!"

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

It's one of my all-time favourites. It seems to get overlooked as an Avengers 'also-ran' and I'm not sure why. Unique villain, great eccentric and it has Angela Brown and Sarah Lawson.

I prefer the alternative title: "How to Succeed at Murder....Without Really Trying"
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
DiVicenzo

Re: "Ruination of all men!"

Post by DiVicenzo »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's one of my all-time favourites. It seems to get overlooked as an Avengers 'also-ran' and I'm not sure why. Unique villain, great eccentric and it has Angela Brown and Sarah Lawson.

I prefer the alternative title: "How to Succeed at Murder....Without Really Trying"
Isn't the title based on a set of text books?
costumr
Nutshell

Post by costumr »

[/quote]Isn't the title based on a set of text books?
I thought it was a take off on "How to Succeed at Business Without Really Trying," which was first a humorous book, then a Broadway (and eventually film) musical.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I think you're right. The title was probably inspired by how to succeed in business. Other Avengers titles paid homage to other tv/stage titles. The Girl from Auntie (The man from Uncle), Mission highly improbable (Mission Impossible), A funny thing happened on the way to the station (forum), From Venus (Russia) with love. I'm sure there's others.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

cyberrich wrote:I think you're right. The title was probably inspired by how to succeed in business. Other Avengers titles paid homage to other tv/stage titles. The Girl from Auntie (The man from Uncle), Mission highly improbable (Mission Impossible), A funny thing happened on the way to the station (forum), From Venus (Russia) with love. I'm sure there's others.
There seems to have been a book that subsequently inspired a musical of the same name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Suc ... lly_Trying

There are loads of references in Avengers titles. Gnaws for Jaws and Dirtier by the Dozen for The Dirty Dozen are another couple that come to mind.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14