Alcohol and The Avengers

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Alcohol and The Avengers

Post by shaunodan »

Gambit's conversation with Purdey to the effect that Purdey was a bit tipsy etc. and Purdey's comment that Steed had such strong wrists from pulling Champagne corks set me wondering about the part alcohol played OR could have played in the show :?: :?:
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

I'm sure all the regulars are seen drinking at some point, but their fitness levels make it unlikely that any of them are heavy drinkers. In the case of Tara, Purdey, Mike and Steed their profession alone would prevent them being irresponsible with alcohol. So it's unlikely that alcohol had any direct bearing on how stories developed within The Avengers from the point of view of the regulars. However... the same doesn't have to be true for the guest characters! It's possible that 'our heroes' benefitted occasionally from impaired judgment on the part of the villains...
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Steed and Mrs. Peel drink pretty constantly and openly and, unlike Steed and Cathy, are almost never shown eating either. I get the sense that there's a bit less open drinking in TNA, but it's just an impression. Steed obviously likes his brandy too.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Lhbizness wrote:Steed and Mrs. Peel drink pretty constantly and openly and, unlike Steed and Cathy, are almost never shown eating either. I get the sense that there's a bit less open drinking in TNA, but it's just an impression. Steed obviously likes his brandy too.
' in the sauce' or hitting the sauce, fairly hard....i.e. brandy....
why bother
Thingumajig

Post by why bother »

Does Steed ever drink anything other than Tea or Champers?

Interesting thoughts though, as many characters in that type of profession seem to be heavy drinkers.
Little Storping Museum. The Online museum of Television. www.murdersville.co.uk
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

why bother wrote:Does Steed ever drink anything other than Tea or Champers?

Interesting thoughts though, as many characters in that type of profession seem to be heavy drinkers.
He drinks brandy, wine, and sometimes seems to be mixing something like Pimm's (or something with a lot of fruit in it). He often makes cocktails for himself and his partners.
why bother
Thingumajig

Post by why bother »

Lhbizness wrote:
why bother wrote:Does Steed ever drink anything other than Tea or Champers?

He drinks brandy, wine, and sometimes seems to be mixing something like Pimm's (or something with a lot of fruit in it). He often makes cocktails for himself and his partners.
Sorry my poor attempt at humor, it was not a serious question.
Little Storping Museum. The Online museum of Television. www.murdersville.co.uk
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

My episode guides have a drinking guide to each episode, at least in the Peel years.
I love little touches like Steed pouring himself a drink when he breaks into Darcy's flat in "A Touch of Brimstone"

I even invented Steed - the cocktail and a drinking game in my university days.

http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenger ... html#drink

Turns out my recipe is very close to an English Highball, which seems appropriate.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
ischtar
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by ischtar »

OO
Last edited by ischtar on Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

ischtar wrote:There's a new page on John Steed's flat which list his drinking habits - today I finished it for series 2.
Looking at that it's amazing they could stand up let alone solve the cases. Still, maybe it offset all the thwacks over the head and bouts of unconsciousness. Medicinal, y'know.

Lovely research - I hope you'll do it for the "champagne seasons"! Do you want me to supply any notes? I'm due a rewatch of Season 3 at least.
Last watched: "The Charmers"