Dutch DVD releases

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Allard
The Ministry

Dutch DVD releases

Post by Allard »

Great news for all Dutch speaking Avengers lovers A-Film finally is continuing their release of the Avengers on DVD.

Starting in 2003 with the Peel colour episodes and soon followed by the Tara King episodes were first released, fans had to wait until 2007 for the next release, which was the second season.

Now they finally more or less completed the collection, on October the 23rd seasons three and four are going on sale. Each in a seven DVD box, for just 25 euro's. Which will probably mean little or no extras as usual but if it comes in the same strong box as season two, that would be just fine with me.

Now all that is missing is the New Avengers and Hot Snow and Girl on the Trapeze. Although I find the quality of the discs very good (or excellent) not one extra has been featured until now, only the same filmographies of Macnee, Rigg, Thorson and Gale on every disc!

The Peel colours and the Tara King's are also re-released, I am guessing in one (strong?) box now and not the four standard boxes from 2003.

For those of you who are wondering, the DVD's will be original sound with subtitles. Only children's programmes are dubbed in the Netherlands.

Another thing; They are already being offered on eBay, my fair warning, don't overpay!

Information about the old season 2 DVD box
Information about the new season 3 DVD box
Information about the new season 4 DVD box
Information about the reissued Peel colour DVD box
Information about the reissued Tara King DVD box

Season Four on Bol.com
Season Three on Bol.com

(For info on other Avengers DVD's just search for "Wrekers" on these sites.)

Last edited by Allard on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY super exciting news :D :D :D
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

This does mean I am going to face the dilemma, whether I am going to buy them and put my season three and four Contender DVD's on eBay.
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

And just in time for my birthday, which is November 1st :D
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Right I'm confused. On the dvd box for series 5, it shows a picture of Tara..
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I think bol.com just messed things up. Go by what's on the A-Film website, I would say.
Catweazle
Nutshell

Hi to all

Post by Catweazle »

Hi. I have a few questions about the dutch DVD sets.
Is it possible to post an example of what the picture quality looks like? Are the picture transfers better than the ones from A&E or Contender?
Do all the Peel Color eps have the "The Avengers in Colour" Bumper at the very beginning?..
Since they don´t do dubbing in NL, the episodes will have their original english credits, not like in France, where they use french credits in horrible quality?
And last thing - are the subtitles removable?

Lots of questions for a first-timer in this message board, sorry
:)
Catweazle
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

While I can't answer any of your questions Catweazle, don't worry about asking too many questions. That's the fun of this forum! I have a list of about a thousand questions, give or take five hundred or so, for Andrew Pixley, but because I'm such a nice person, I'm only sending off a hundred or so at a time. :lol:

Anyway, welcome to the boards, ask your questions, and have fun. We have lots of experts here who are more than generous in helping out with answers.

Kim
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Allard
The Ministry

Re: Hi to all

Post by Allard »

Catweazle wrote:Hi. I have a few questions about the dutch DVD sets.
Is it possible to post an example of what the picture quality looks like? Are the picture transfers better than the ones from A&E or Contender?
Do all the Peel Color eps have the "The Avengers in Colour" Bumper at the very beginning?..
Since they don´t do dubbing in NL, the episodes will have their original english credits, not like in France, where they use french credits in horrible quality?
And last thing - are the subtitles removable?

Lots of questions for a first-timer in this message board, sorry
:)
Catweazle

I am glad you asked!

I'll try and help you as much as possible. I own the Dutch releases of season two and the Peel colours and the Tara Kings.
The Peel colours and the Tara Kings i have in series of 4 and 5 boxes, they are now being re-issued in one box each.
Although I simply do not know for sure, I am sure for 99% that the DVD's are the same. Just the packing has changed.

With the A-Film DVD's I never had one single playback issues. Something which I can not say for the Contender DVD's.

Two minor things:
Yes they all feature the Avengers in Color intro screen every time.
One odd thing though the Pandora has the Italian title screen.
And on one DVD the menu links to the Rotters and Invasion of Earth Men are mixed up, but they are both on the disc.

A bit annoying though is the low quality of the episode descriptions:
The episode description for The Joker and Something Nasty in the Nursery are mixed up, and The Joker's description is closer to the House That Jack Built.

The titles and credits are original and complete.
Subtitles can be switched off (at least on my DVD player, so I guess on any other too).

Picture quality, I am not expert on this and I can certainly not draw a comparison between DVD releases because I do not own double sets.

The Peel colours are good in my experience. The Tara King's are generally good but some (episodes or moments) are a bit disappointing.
By that I mean you expect a bit more now a days when it says remastered.

But I am very happy with them because the picture and sound quality is absolutely acceptable (or very good for 40 year old material). And I never had playback issues. The boxes are of good quality as are the DVD's. And this more important to me then a few extras.

Feel free to ask more questions.
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Allard wrote:I think bol.com just messed things up. Go by what's on the A-Film website, I would say.
Wouldn't be the first time bol.com messes something up. I feel so tempted to order a few dvd boxes, since I'll get my student finances for October tomorrow :D