Big Finish to adapt Diana comic strips for audio!

Discussion of Big Finish Avengers releases including The Lost Episodes and Steed and Mrs Peel.
DerekD
Little Wonder

Big Finish to adapt Diana comic strips for audio!

Post by DerekD »

The Diana comic strips to get the audio treatment

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-ave ... d-mrs-peel
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Big Finish appear to have found a new source of material in adapting comic strips for audio releases.

They might have a little more trouble adapting the giant ants story from the Tara King TV Comic strips, should they want any additional material, but then again problems like this can always be got around by the use of a narrator.
DerekD
Little Wonder

Post by DerekD »

I've greatly enjoyed the missing episodes so I'm looking forward to these too. I hope they get the casting of Mrs Peel right....
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

This is horrifying. I really don't know what Big Finish is accomplishing by taking things from one medium and throwing them onto another - though, really, it all about how truly awful Julian Wadham is as Steed. I shudder to think who they'll miscast as Emma Peel.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

On the contrary, Lauren, this is fabulous news. I think Julian Wadham is excellent as Steed and getting better all the time.

I'm sorry that you don't enjoy the Big Finish releases, but calling this developing "horrifying", Julian Wadham "truly awful" and fearing who they'll "miscast as Emma Peel" is a truly depressing reaction to exceptionally good news.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I'll amend my original statement: I don't think this is a good idea because I do not like Wadham's performance or the adaptations as they've been done thus far. He is, in my view, badly miscast and does not give me hope for the quality of these future productions or the casting of Emma Peel. I'm not sure why this is even necessary or needed.

I think he's an embarrassment to the character, so we'll have to agree to disagree.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Well, I am very pleased that they're doing these. I am, in fact, more interested in adaptations of contemporary works such as these comic strips than I would welcome original plays based on the series.

I don't understand why your reaction is so vehement (even though you have revised it). If you don't like it, that's fine, but other people do, so please allow them to revel in good news - all you need do is not buy them.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by peabody »

Wow, this is certainly very good news. This must mean that the Lost Episodes are selling well... And I see they're also doing The Prisoner! Bring 'em on, I love 'em!
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Simply put, it's a revision of the original characters for the purposes of profit. I don't particularly see the point. Just as many dislike and find the film objectionable (myself among them), I find these productions and their casting just the same. Maybe these will be better if they can find someone to play Emma Peel and Wadham manages to make his Steed less one-dimensional and caricaturish. But I am not hopeful.

Beyond my negative reaction, though, I would be interested in knowing and seeing how they manage to adapt comic strips to radio - perhaps an even greater media spread than that of TV scripts to radio dramas. That in itself is a daunting task.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Lhbizness wrote:Simply put, it's a revision of the original characters for the purposes of profit. I don't particularly see the point. Just as many dislike and find the film objectionable (myself among them), I find these productions and their casting just the same. Maybe these will be better if they can find someone to play Emma Peel and Wadham manages to make his Steed less one-dimensional and caricaturish. But I am not hopeful.
None of us has to watch the film, none of us has to buy the CDs. I can understand people not finding either to their tastes, but I fail to see the outraged reaction afforded to the movie or yours to the CDs.

What is wrong about something being for profit? Was the original series made for charity??? These are being made with love and affection by a company that has a proven track record going back to 1999, and which has been behind highly regarded revamps of a growing number of television series. They have always been done with care, an attention to detail and a respect for the source material.

To disregard the releases as purely for profit is missing the point entirely. They are not that sort of company. They are all fans of the series they produce. I know many of them personally, have met them, and to be honest, I can think of no-one better to bring The Avengers back into the marketplace.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger