Patrick Macnee (1922-2015)

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I'm 99% sure I've seen a picture of Patricks gravestone. I'll dig through my archive for it another time. But that could still be a burial site for ashes.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

J.Mac3 wrote: Yes, Find a Grave lists his burial place as unknown - cremated and "ashes given to family or friends." And yet, the Wikipedia page for Desert Memorial Park (the cemetery near Macnee's home), lists Patrick among their "Notable interments." I suspect that Find a Grave hasn't yet updated it's information. I use their site frequently for genealogical research and the information is often outdated or simply hasn't yet been posted on the site. They rely on volunteers.
Wikipedia mentions Patrick but the official Palm Springs Cemetery district website does not.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:
J.Mac3 wrote: Yes, Find a Grave lists his burial place as unknown - cremated and "ashes given to family or friends." And yet, the Wikipedia page for Desert Memorial Park (the cemetery near Macnee's home), lists Patrick among their "Notable interments." I suspect that Find a Grave hasn't yet updated it's information. I use their site frequently for genealogical research and the information is often outdated or simply hasn't yet been posted on the site. They rely on volunteers.
Wikipedia mentions Patrick but the official Palm Springs Cemetery district website does not.
I'm planning a possible trip to California, early 2023...burbank, Santa Barbara, etc...perhaps I could slide on over to Palm Springs, and check out his 'resting place'...maybe snap a few pics..
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote: I'm planning a possible trip to California, early 2023...burbank, Santa Barbara, etc...perhaps I could slide on over to Palm Springs, and check out his 'resting place'...maybe snap a few pics..
It certainly might settle the mystery!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
J.Mac3
Little Wonder

Post by J.Mac3 »

dissolute wrote:
Yes, I had noticed that, but there were several others on the Wiki list omitted from the official cemetery list. Perhaps the official list didn't include Pat along with the others for reasons of space, preference? Who knows?

Mousemeat, YOU'RE NEEDED! If you could visit and take a few photos, that would, indeed, settle the issue.
Frankymole

Re: Patrick Macnee (1922-2015)

Post by Frankymole »

A couple of nice pictures from Rodney Marshall's Twitter that I don't remember seeing before.

Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

He looks like a young Basil Rathbone in that first picture!
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

darn, I've never seen those pics of Patrick...and I've seen countless over the decades..but those picts of him, are so stunning...outstanding..thanks for showing them...
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Remembrance of the Magnificent Macnee up at sci-fi fansite File 770:
https://file770.com/pixel-scroll-2-6-24-scrollerman/
Born February 6, 1922 — Patrick Macnee. (Died 2015.) So let’s talk about Patrick Macnee. Even the character of Patrick Macnee as John Steed in The Avengers is more complicated than we generally think of him. Steed started as a rougher agent than the gentleman he would become during the Gale and Peel eras.

His dress as Dr. David Keel’s sidekick was a trenchcoat and suit, though the famous bowler hat and umbrella showed up very occasionally part way through the first series.

The gentleman agent in look and manner came to be in the second series when the actor who played Keel quit to pursue a film career. Once Macnee was promoted to star he adapted permanently that Saville Row suit and bowler hat with the sword cane look that he’d keep for the entire series and the New Avengers as well.

So what else do I find interesting about his career? (My way of saying don’t expect me to cover everything he did here.)

Now you might well guess the first role I’ll single out.

He may, and I say may deliberately, played Holmes twice in two television films, The Hound of London and Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Temporal Nexus. The latter may or may not exist as commenters online say they cannot actually find this case of paranormal murders and extraterrestrials. Holmes meets War of the Worlds? Surely in those nearly one and fifty films involving him, that been done, hasn’t it? Or not.

Of his Watson performances, more is certain. He played him three times: once alongside Roger Moore’s Sherlock Holmes in these television films: Sherlock Holmes in New York, and then twice with Christopher Lee, first in Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady, and then in Incident at Victoria Falls.

He sort of plays him a fourth time. He appeared in Magnum, P.I. as, what else?, a retired British agent who suffered from the delusion that he was Sherlock Holmes, in the episode titled “Holmes”.

What next? In a one-off, he took over Leo G. Carroll’s role as the head of U.N.C.L.E. as Sir John Raleigh in Return of the Man from U.N.C.L.E.: The Fifteen Years Later Affair. Anyone see this?

He’s in A View to Kill as Sir Godfrey Tibbett, a Roger Moore Bond film, as a horse trainer who helps him infiltrate Zorin’s chateau and stables.

Since everyone it seems showed up on this series, it probably won’t surprise you I that he was on Columbo in the “Troubled Waters” where he’s Capt. Gibbon. They filmed it on a real cruise ship, called the Sun Princess at the time. It was later sold many times and renamed Ocean Dream finally. It was abandoned off the coast of Thailand and sank there. Don’t you love my trivia?

Finally, I think, he appeared on Broadway as the star of Anthony Shaffer’s Sleuth in the early seventies. He then headlined the national tour of that play.

No, I forgot an appearance I wanted to note. My bad. He appeared on The Twilight Zone in “Judgement Night”. There he played the First Officer on the S.S. Queen of Glasgow, a cargo carrier, headed out on London to New York with a passenger with no memory but a feeling that something very bad will happen.

I’m going now. Really I am.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

always loved his role in the Man from Uncle..the 15 year affair....add to the mix, George Lazenby as ' JB '...