John Steed's TNA Jaguar for sale

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
ischtar
How to Succeed... at Posting!

John Steed's TNA Jaguar for sale

Post by ischtar »

OO
Last edited by ischtar on Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I always loved that car.

Don't think I'll be purchasing it though..:)
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

It looks to be in shocking condition :(

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

It'll be a brave person who takes on that restoration task but auction prices for barn finds have been going through the roof lately, it'll be interesting to see what this fetches.

Thanks for posting.

~iw
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

The Big Cat finally surfaces!

I knew that this vehicle had been in storage for years and its condition was deteriorating.

With an estimated auction price of £12,000 and perhaps half again to restore it... complete rub down, some filling here and there and a complete respray. No back window and the alloy wheels are pitted badly. I don't know if this kind of alloy wheel is still made, as it'll probably be cheaper to put new ones on the Jag than grind and polish up the originals and that's just the damage I can see. If this V12 engine has not run for years then we might be looking at a complete rebuild, at another couple of grand. Plus, it needs the upholstrary redoing and new carpets, this is going to be costly.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Having thought about this for a time, I think it could sell well in excess of £12,000, as it not only has The New Avengers connection, but I think I'm correct in saying that this was the only Broadspeed Big Cat put on the road. All the others were only ever used on a racetrack.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Ian Wegg wrote:It looks to be in shocking condition :(

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

It'll be a brave person who takes on that restoration task but auction prices for barn finds have been going through the roof lately, it'll be interesting to see what this fetches.

Thanks for posting.

~iw
good for you. I hope you get it. It need some TLC. Is this just normal wear and tear for an old vehicle? Does it look like it has been stored away and not driven at all? very strange for such a beautiful car.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Looking at the interior, I never realised that this car was an automatic.
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

The auction listing says "Dry stored for many years". That may be true but from the pictures it looks like it's been kept somewhere pretty damp for even longer! It will definitely cost a fortune to get back on the road.

But the classic car auction world is a strange one. Barn finds like this regularly fetch far more than they could ever be worth when restored. It depends on the day, if no one there is interested it may not sell, but get two or more and I could see this easily doubling or tripling that £10-12K guide price.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

NickP wrote:The auction listing says "Dry stored for many years". That may be true but from the pictures it looks like it's been kept somewhere pretty damp for even longer! It will definitely cost a fortune to get back on the road.

But the classic car auction world is a strange one. Barn finds like this regularly fetch far more than they could ever be worth when restored. It depends on the day, if no one there is interested it may not sell, but get two or more and I could see this easily doubling or tripling that £10-12K guide price.
Amazing that you think it could be tripling in cost. Would the damage to the leather be from just storage do you think?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

anti-clockwise wrote:
NickP wrote:The auction listing says "Dry stored for many years". That may be true but from the pictures it looks like it's been kept somewhere pretty damp for even longer! It will definitely cost a fortune to get back on the road.

Amazing that you think it could be tripling in cost. Would the damage to the leather be from just storage do you think?
Margo

Its difficult to say. We don't know if it was stored in the barn where it appears in the You Tube video. The rear window is held in place with strips of masking tape, suggesting that the glass has not been in place during storage.

In 2008 Bonhams sold one of the racing Broadspeed Jaguar XJ12's for an amazing amount of money, although that was in excellent condition.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16252/lot/336/