John Steed's TNA Jaguar for sale

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

anti-clockwise wrote:Amazing that you think it could be tripling in cost. Would the damage to the leather be from just storage do you think?
Time will tell if I'm right about the price.

This story in the Mirror says the car has " spent the last 20 years rotting in a lock-up", which sounds a fairer description than dry storage.

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/john-steeds-jaguar-cult-show

I'm sure that accounts for the condition of the interior and also the engine, which is clearly showing the effects of dampness. The dashboard has been vandalised unfortunately.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Such a shame to see this in such awful condition. I hope someone restores this to it's former glory. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Steed's Bentley from the 60's, and Emma's Lotus Elan and Tara's Lotus Europa :?: What state are they in I wonder. Rich.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

cyberrich wrote:Such a shame to see this in such awful condition. I hope someone restores this to it's former glory. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Steed's Bentley from the 60's, and Emma's Lotus Elan and Tara's Lotus Europa :?: What state are they in I wonder. Rich.
The whereabouts of three of Steed's five Bentleys are known, as is one of Emma's two Lotus Elans which has been on sale by the Miami car museum which acquired it.

See: The Bentleys and Emma Peel's Lotus

~iw
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks for the links Ian. £40-60,000 for Emma's white Elan seems quite reasonable, considering the Avengers connection. Wish I could spare that much! I seem to remember Linda saying in an interview that she acquired the Europa after filming was over on the series, but that she no longer had it. Must belong to a collector somewhere. I loved Emma's powder blue Elan. I'd love to know what happened to that one. Rich.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

NickP wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:Amazing that you think it could be tripling in cost. Would the damage to the leather be from just storage do you think?
Time will tell if I'm right about the price.

This story in the Mirror says the car has " spent the last 20 years rotting in a lock-up", which sounds a fairer description than dry storage.

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/john-steeds-jaguar-cult-show

I'm sure that accounts for the condition of the interior and also the engine, which is clearly showing the effects of dampness. The dashboard has been vandalised unfortunately.
I think it was 2007 when there was a thread regarding the Big Cat Jaguar on a Jaguar Owners forum, where someone admitted to knowing that it was in a lock-up garage, but would not say where. Although they did indicate that the bodywork was rusting badly in places. There was no mention of damage being done to the interior, but it looks like someone has gained access to where it was stored at some point and vandalized it, hence, the broken gauges on the dashboard. Perhaps this has happened recently and influenced the owner to sell the vehicle.

In 1985, a West Bromwich car dealer offered the vehicle to sometime Avengers author Dave Rogers, who declined because he didn't drive.
hatpeg
Little Wonder

Post by hatpeg »

Looks like a good project for Wheeler Dealers.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

hatpeg wrote:Looks like a good project for Wheeler Dealers.
hatpeg

I think the Big Cat is beyond their price range. I can see this selling for £25,000 plus.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

The news of Steed's ex-motor has now reached the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150827 ... -barn-find
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Johnny O wrote:The news of Steed's ex-motor has now reached the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150827 ... -barn-find
Johnny

The BBC reckon £10,000 will get the Big Cat, I doubt that. In fact if the asking price was £10,000 I know a couple of people who would be willing to pay that for it.
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

MikeR wrote:The BBC reckon £10,000 will get the Big Cat, I doubt that. In fact if the asking price was £10,000 I know a couple of people who would be willing to pay that for it.
I guess the BBC are just quoting the auctioneers' guide price (£10-12K). This is clearly a "come-on" price to generate interest, I stand by my earlier prediction that it will get between two and three times that estimate. I reckon around £30K.