John Steed's TNA Jaguar for sale

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

My thoughts exactly - it's not in itself a particularly desirable car and the TNA connection adds minimal value IMO so that is a very high price. No way is that a £100K car .
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Geoff and Ian

I think I’m correct in saying that this was the only Broadspeed Jaguar XJ12 that ever ran on the road, as all the other examples were used for racing. Hence it’s a one-off and with The New Avengers connection, I expected prices to go up to £50,000, although perhaps £62,000 is a lot for a vehicle that needs extensive restoration.

As an indication, Bonhams auctioned a full racing Jaguar XJ12 in pristine red, white and blue British Leyland racing colours in September 2008 and managed to sell it for £80,700. Some people are willing to invest enormous amounts in classic cars, partly as an investment and partly for the love of it.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16252/lot/336/
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

Given the choice, I'd rather have the E-Type.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

I once met the owner of the yellow XJS that was used in the Toronto episodes of TNA. He had owned it for a while and I'm sure he didn't pay seventy thousand for it nor sell it for anything similarly eye watering. If he had held on to it, I wonder what a fan might pay for it now.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Johnny O wrote:I once met the owner of the yellow XJS that was used in the Toronto episodes of TNA. He had owned it for a while and I'm sure he didn't pay seventy thousand for it nor sell it for anything similarly eye watering. If he had held on to it, I wonder what a fan might pay for it now.
Johnny

Is there any way of checking if this vehicle is still being used?

Here in the UK you check the DVLC website and see if a vehicle is till taxed for use on the road, or see the date it was last taxed.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

mariocki wrote:Given the choice, I'd rather have the E-Type.
Geoff

Never driven an E-Type, but I have driven an XJ12 and once you get over 40 mph there is no sensation of speed, it was one the quietest cars I have ever been in.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

MikeR wrote:
Johnny O wrote:I once met the owner of the yellow XJS that was used in the Toronto episodes of TNA. He had owned it for a while and I'm sure he didn't pay seventy thousand for it nor sell it for anything similarly eye watering. If he had held on to it, I wonder what a fan might pay for it now.
Johnny

Is there any way of checking if this vehicle is still being used?
I'm
Here in the UK you check the DVLC website and see if a vehicle is till taxed for use on the road, or see the date it was last taxed.
I really don't think I can help here I'm afraid. This was someone I chatted to casually in New York about ten years ago, about 30 years after TNA had been filmed in his home town of Toronto and I've no idea at all at what point in that intervening period he'd owned or had possession of the car. He was an extra working in NY at the time we met and I don't even remember his name. Sorry. I do know he'd not been an extra or any kind of actor at the time the TNA was recorded so he hadn't got the car through any connection with the series itself. I assumed what he told me about the car was true as it came up in a very natural and seemingly honest way and all I recall now was that he had long since let the vehicle go.

But if there are any Canadian fans here who know the real license plate number, maybe they can do some research.
Last edited by Johnny O on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

MikeR wrote:
mariocki wrote:Given the choice, I'd rather have the E-Type.
Geoff

Never driven an E-Type, but I have driven an XJ12 and once you get over 40 mph there is no sensation of speed, it was one the quietest cars I have ever been in.
I've driven the new XJ and that is a stunning car - very quiet unless you want to open the exhaust valves in which case you press a button on the dashboard and get that supercar roar. The E-Type is just a beautiful car - nothing before or since has come close to it.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Anyone know the original cost of Steed's Jaguar back in the 70's?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Margo

In 1976 the standard Jaguar XJ12 two-door coupe cost £8,801.