Emma Peel has been cast!

Discussion of Big Finish Avengers releases including The Lost Episodes and Steed and Mrs Peel.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Alan wrote:OK, one last reply on this thread.

My point is that what Big Finish do and what fan writers do are different things. That does not imply that one is "better" than the other, just that they are different animals.

My comments regarding fan fiction in this thread have stemmed from the way in which posters here have used fan fiction as a barb (or have suggested that what Big Finish do is worse than fan fiction, which is similarly a barb). If anyone's making a value statement, it's not me.

I fully understand that the existence of the Big Finish Avengers offends some fans, yourself included, and I also understand how hard it is to let something go - even an off-shoot from the series like the audios - and just say "not for me". There's no part of The Avengers that I feel like that about, not even the movie, but there are other series I love - Doctor Who, for instance - where I feel completely disengaged from parts of the whole. I try to let them go, not watch, not get angry, but I often do - but other people enjoy those bits, so I just think "live and let live" and get on with enjoying what I do enjoy.

Unfortunately in terms of this thread, that includes the Big Finish Avengers, and I apologise if my bemusement at the saddening amount of negativity on display in this thread has caused me to say some things that have caused any upset.

Now, that is my last word on the subject.
I am still not clear how what Big Finish do and what fan writers do are different - they're both about world expansion, they're both technically non-canonical, and they're both a "filling in the blanks" of characters. I don't see the artistic difference.

For myself, my initial response to the idea of Big Finish being fanfiction was to make a joke out of it, because honestly I think it's pretty much one and the same. I write and read fanfiction. One of the points of pride of any fanfiction writer is that we're not paid for it: we do it purely on the basis of loving the show. I have seen several posters make comments about fanfiction as being "just about sex" and a lesser form of writing and of fandom. To then be told that these audios are quite obviously not fanfiction because they're "professional" further diminishes fanfiction: fanfiction isn't worthy enough to be classified with Big Finish. I resent then being told that Big Finish are just a bunch of fans who love the show, but they're in a different category because THEY are professional - it's tantamount to being told that my fandom isn't good enough.

I apologize for my negativity, but it is not an unexamined negativity purely there because I'm prejudiced. My negativity is reinforced by the fact that the first new products we get for The Avengers in many many years have been so consistently disappointing to me. Wadham's performance in particular has become a very sore point with me because it's so anathema to the Steed that became my favorite character. It offends me because I think it offends the character and Patrick Macnee. Having those concerns and that anger consistently dismissed only entrenches it more.

It is not my intention to make you or anyone feel badly for enjoying these adaptations, or to say that you shouldn't (though I am sorry that it may come off like that). It is my intention to make criticism heard and to be allowed to make it.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I apologies wholeheartedly for loosely using the term "fan fiction"... who knew it would start World War Z?

Alan is correct here, they are not fan fiction; in fact, they're not even new stories.
These are radio adaptations of the original stories produced in the Sixties in the Diana comics.
Big Finish are continuing in the same vein as The Lost Episodes, reworking already existing material.

End of story. If we have any more argument on the issue I may be forced to use a red card and someone can leave the pitch for a while.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Just like the hideous feature film of "The Avengers" proved, there is only one Emma Peel, and that is Diana Rigg. And there is only one Steed, and that is Patrick Macnee. They are irreplaceable. I don't want to see anyone else in the roles. You can't top perfection the first time around.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

MRotten wrote:Just like the hideous feature film of "The Avengers" proved, there is only one Emma Peel, and that is Diana Rigg. And there is only one Steed, and that is Patrick Macnee. They are irreplaceable. I don't want to see anyone else in the roles. You can't top perfection the first time around.
I thought about this thread...when I re watched that ill fated movie last night...and it still doesn't work on any level. what a train wreck...jeez O'petes, no wonder why they lost millions...of course, there's rumors that warners is considering putting out a blu-ray version with some / all / missing scenes..but my gut tells me, it won't save that film...and I'll echo the above...there is only one steed and mrs. peel...and you alll know their names.....
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Emma and Steed were already recast for the South African radio series in the 1970s, as detailed on Alan's amazing website.

It's not like it's a new idea. And at least they were (at least initially with the Diana comic material) doing "new" stories most of us have not seen before, not adapting TV ones (though in SA's case that was forgivable as they didn't have a television service there until 1976)...
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Emma and Steed were already recast for the South African radio series in the 1970s, as detailed on Alan's amazing website.

It's not like it's a new idea. And at least they were (at least initially with the Diana comic material) doing "new" stories most of us have not seen before, not adapting TV ones (though in SA's case that was forgivable as they didn't have a television service there until 1976)...
I do remember years ago, you could obtain copies to listen to...but I'm not sure you can now...unless there's a web site to purchase (?) and down load...
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Alan Hayes will probably know how to get the radio episodes. I do have purchased files of them somewhere... it's just finding where! I keep turning up different video and audio disks all the time.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Alan Hayes will probably know how to get the radio episodes. I do have purchased files of them somewhere... it's just finding where! I keep turning up different video and audio disks all the time.
no doubt, it'll be a chore...but worth having them...if you're a big fan
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

jaz wrote:That is a terrible cover - the old guy playing Steed looks so unstylish. Like Ralpheeee Finnes his hat is too big and his suit is so wrong. Oh dear!
Does that matter on audio?
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
jaz wrote:That is a terrible cover - the old guy playing Steed looks so unstylish. Like Ralpheeee Finnes his hat is too big and his suit is so wrong. Oh dear!
Does that matter on audio?

not really....then again, there will be some who will complain the vocal range, isn't up to the original actors...