1967: exit of J. Bryce, entry of B. Clemens and A. Fennell

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

1967: exit of J. Bryce, entry of B. Clemens and A. Fennell

Post by denis rigg »

Recently, I pondered on the interesting topic:

We all know that John Bryce produced three episodes of Tara King, when he left, Clemens and Fennell back.

An interesting reflection to the dates of events.

According 'Daily Sketch', John Bryce "walked out" series on early December 1967 (1 or 2 December, most likely 1 December), so he already not continued as the producer of the episode The Great Great Britain Crime since this point.
Accordingly memories of Don Sharp (from the book "Avengers and Me"):
"During the prodiction of 'A Murderous Connection', John Bryce's name was deleted from casting advice notes and Brian Clemens name was added to distribution list".
Come to the conclusion, that although Bryce actually was not the producer, when the episode The Curious Case of the Countless Clues went into production, he still was listed in some papers of the studio on this appointment, that is formally he still remained as a producer.
In this way, if Clemens and Fennell returned to Studio on 6 December 1967, we get in the end, that in period 2/3 - 5 December 1967, The Avengers were seems without "main producer" at all.
Moreover, thanks to book of Michael Richardson, "Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots", we can make an interesting study in details:

Bryce no produced the episode The Great Great Britain Crime in final three days! On final day, Clemens and Fennell already were on place. :)

Frankly, it would be interesting to know the date when John Bryce exactly left the Avengers.
Denis
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Yes I wish we could have been there to know but I am afraid that is one of those mysteries we probably will never know. It is striking that Bryce left TA sort of quietly and never really explained anything about the sudden change. Is that correct Denis? If you could not find the information ( and you can find just about anything), then I think they did not really want the us to know what occurred. But it does make us wonder, even the more.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

anti-clockwise wrote:Yes I wish we could have been there to know but I am afraid that is one of those mysteries we probably will never know. It is striking that Bryce left TA sort of quietly and never really explained anything about the sudden change. Is that correct Denis? If you could not find the information ( and you can find just about anything), then I think they did not really want the us to know what occurred. But it does make us wonder, even the more.
Yes, Margo, it can be said that Bryce's departure was relatively quiet, as only a few media sources informed about it. It is difficult to say that it was exactly the reason that affected the exit of Bryce, the most likely are budget and the dissatisfaction to the material, which he did.
Studio wanted to return the style of the Avengers back to the "video age", but it was difficult task, since the series formation has developed in the global success of Emma Peel episodes and I think for correct work, it was necessary to change Steed again, basics and show rules etc. I am sure that such an approach basically crew did not like.
As for my opinion, this was strange point for such turn in anyway - back the style of the series at the moment when the show came with the International success.
Denis
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I do think that although they botched the change in approach, it's difficult to see how the show would have gone within some sort of intervention.

But then having said that maybe it would have happened organically. The later season 5B episode show the series was starting to get less frivolous and move into a darker more emotive area. Murdersville is worlds away from Escape in Time - we see Emma get visibly upset! Maybe Clemens and Fennell would have naturally gone for a straighter/darker approach to season 6 is they'd just been allowed to continue without interference.

I wonder how the production crew organisation would have worked. Season 6 as it is, brought in new writers. Philip Levene possibly had a falling out with Clemens over the direction of the show - without all the shenanigans of the switching teams, would there have been no falling out and would Clemens and Levene continued to write the bulk of the episodes.

Of course there would have been no Tara King, that would assume Clemens wouldn't have invented Mother so we would have been less likely to see 'The Organisation'.

I do love 'What ifs..'
Elle
Nutshell

Re: 1967: exit of J. Bryce, entry of B. Clemens and A. Fennell

Post by Elle »

I am a new member here but have always been endlessly fascinated by this brief period when Bryce returned and a change of direction was proposed. For my money, it isn't the more surreal or stylistic elements which were getting out of control by the start of series 5 but the over abundance of humour and whimsy. You feel the dramatic tone of the series (and it was basically a drama, after all) evaporate in many of the episodes. When Steed and Peel stop taking the threats seriously, you stop worrying about what happens to them. The result is a lack of dramatic tension. This pervades many of the series 5 stories. If the humour had been kept firmly under control, there would not have been the feeling that the series had "left the ground" and there would have been no cause for concern. The writing by this time was firmly based around a very small pool of writers though, which is not healthy either.

Opinions anybody?
Last edited by Elle on Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Hello and welcome. I recently read "The Avengers and Me" by Patrick Macnee (with Dave Rogers), which gave an inside perspective on what the actors were told when Clemens and co were sacked, and especially on John Bryce's problems. It was quite eye-opening and not the usual stuff we'd been fed before. I wish I'd read it sooner. In fact the whole book is quite useful for a fair view of the highs and lows of the politics behind the scenes across all 10 years.

I do very much agree that the colour Emma Peel episodes had let whimsy get out of balance with the other elements. That's not the biggest crime in TV drama, especially for a show that was developing and doing "way out" stuff no-one had tried before, but it's when it feels like they got stuck in a rut that I tire of it. The executives may also have thought Clemens was getting too big for his boots... events proved though that they had no idea how to make the show (in practical terms - to time and budget). Luckily, the last block of Emma's episodes into the Tara era got their mojo back a bit and one could argue that Clemens and Fennel had some "inspiration born of perspiration" when their departure and return shook things up. Imminent screening dates meant laziness was out the window.

Sadly, series 2 of The New Avengers had nowhere to turn as the money ran out, so it seems that desperate times only lead to good work when there are (just about) adequate resources. I think Spooner and Clemens did a good job on most of those episodes especially in the first year so a small pool of writers can work if they are experienced and inventive enough. From what Roger Marshall says though, that wasn't working on series 5; maybe they needed a break from the show.. perhaps even a 6 year break!
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Elle
Nutshell

Post by Elle »

Thanks! Yes, it's a shame Spooner wasn't added to the roster of the original series. Series 5 definitely missed the presence of Roger Marshall and a few of the other earlier writers though. Marshall went on to greatness with Public Eye though, so that was a good thing. I'd be interested to know what the gist of what the actors were told re: Clemens and Fennell's departure though!

The best series 5 stories are very good but there does seem to be a lower hit rate of real classics (The Joker and Death's Door are two exceptions to the rule though) compared to the previous series, as well as it feeling like there was a more generic gloss imposed. Luckily, some of the best Thorson episodes managed to shake up the stagnant atmosphere and offer something a bit surprising and away from formula. There are probably a higher percentage of strong episodes in the Thorson era than there are in series 5 by a wide margin (sometimes it was despite Linda herself being used to best advantage though; they never quite got to grips with her character until it was almost too late).
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

I think this situation was covered as well as anyone can cover it in my book Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots: The Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to The Avengers published in 2014. I spoke and exchanged correspondence and emails with Brian Clemens and spoke with his close friend Dennis Spooner, plus Richard Bates regarding John Bryce's involvement with regard to this subject in great detail.
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Elle wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:22 pm Thanks! Yes, it's a shame Spooner wasn't added to the roster of the original series.
This is a shame isn't it? Dennis Spooner had an amazing sense of fun and I think that the show would have benefitted from more of his contributions which, I would hope, would have been nicely off-beat. Certainly "Look - (stop me..." is one of my favourite episodes of all because it is so way out there.
Series 5 definitely missed the presence of Roger Marshall and a few of the other earlier writers though. Marshall went on to greatness with Public Eye though, so that was a good thing.
Roger did some amazing scripts - and I always think that some of his very best material is for the shows that he originated himself; "Public Eye", "Travelling Man", etc.
There are probably a higher percentage of strong episodes in the Thorson era than there are in series 5 by a wide margin (sometimes it was despite Linda herself being used to best advantage though; they never quite got to grips with her character until it was almost too late).
The scripts from late 1967 to cancellation really do push the envelope in places. And I think it was right to move on. I mean, I loved the colourful, campy episodes made in 1966/67 immensely... but, in retrospect, it's always nice when a show moves forward in style rather than just staying the same. Many of Tara King episodes seem to have a nasty edge that'd not been present previously in the filmed episodes but were more akin to the taped shows... but I do think that they a lovely blend.

As such, I always find it fascinating to look at "Invasion of the Earthmen" and what's left of "Invitation to a Killing" and "The Great, Great Britain Crime" and try to understand the feel that John Bryce was going for... but it's a very nebulous thing. Certainly a bit straighter in tone than what had been filmed since the sale to the USA - and, of course, closer to the late VT shows that John had helmed.

All the best

Andrew
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

of course, Bryce was unfairly slogged for his relationship with Linda Thorson...and Bryce was actually a fine director, as he was taking the series in a different direction, but his tenure was quickly cut short..had he remained ..the series / stories would have taken on a different persona