IMDb

Brollies, bowlers and boots (kinky, of course) are just a mouse click away. Tell us what Avengerish things you have found on the web.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

IMDb

Post by denis rigg »

I started correcting and adding the information on IMDb since April 18, 2007, the first of which was an indication of Patrick Macnee as an extra in the film Hamlet with Laurence Olivier. Over the years, I have spent a lot of work for the Avengers/TNA cast and crew, Canadian performers 1950's - 1960's, performers of different countries who worked with Patrick Macnee mainly in early career, and other things.

Recently, the following study was done for The Avengers writers:

1. Rex Edwards
Writer: The Grandeur That Was Rome

After careful research (website Ancestry, books, notes), I finally found proof that real name of our writer is Walter Frederick Edwards.

He started as actor, together with his wife Hilda Fenemore (married her in 1938) participated in the Labour League of Youth and later Unity Theatre, and in the 1950s switched to activity as the writer for radio and TV. He also participated as script associate for series Dixon of Dock Green.

Rex Edwards.
Born: October 21, 1912 in London, England, UK.
Died: April 18, 1983 in Watford, Hertfordshire, England, UK.

2. Edward Rhodes
Teleplay: Box of Tricks

Before, there were writer Ted Rhodes and Edward Rhodes on IMDb, which as it turned out were actually one and the same person.

Edward Rhodes, Yorkshireman, studied at RADA, worked as actor in theatre and films, wrote the scripts for TV serials, after was instrumental in creating popular All Creatures Great and Small. He then enjoyed a brief period teaching at New York University, before taking a job as theatre critic for the Wandsworth Borough News (under name Paul Nelson), which he enjoyed for 20 years, before retiring in 2001.

Born: 1934
Died: December 16, 2003 (age 69) in London, England, UK.

3. John Gilbert
Teleplay: Traitor in Zebra

Personality about which I know nothing - on prospect of early studies, I took as a basis that our writer and son of Lewis Gilbert perhaps are same face. Website BFI is also pointed out it, but my doubt has always depended on the fact, that at the point of early 1960s, the son of Lewis Gilbert participated in the works of his father and was only as an assistant editor and an assistant director, not even mentioned in the credits. Hmm... :? When he became the producer (initially as associate producer for film Alfie, after music producer) I thought, it is probably to this he sought. Hardly our person.
Yesterday I found other John Gilbert, which maybe is our man. His real name is John Gilbert Harrison, and he was writer for some books in different genres from 1958 to early 1960s, also worked as writer for BBC radio and TV, ITV - our point. :wink: He was brother-in- law of Greville Wynne, British spy, who wrote The Man from Moscow, released two years later (1967), and helped him for this work. Greville wrote in book: My grateful thanks go to John Gilbert who, as a professional writer, has given me his generous help and advice. :wink:

John Gilbert Harrison
Born: June 20, 1912 in London, England, UK
Died: 2003 in Dorset, England, UK

4. Max Marquis
Teleplay: Diamond Cut Diamond

Hmm, it may very well be that he was actually born in 1919 and died in 2013, :? need to check - on moment I have not come to any particular results.
Last edited by denis rigg on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: IMDb

Post by denis rigg »

Last updates on IMDB

1. Jeremy Scott (co-author Roger Marshall for several Avengers episodes):

Actually born in 1934 (not 1935), it turns out that he is the same age as Roger Marshall, with whom he collaborated for the series. :wink:
Full name: Jeremy Gino Scott.

2. Richard Harris (author of five Avengers episodes).
Full name: Richard Albert Harris
Born: March 1934 (new information is month).
Denis
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

denis rigg wrote:I started correcting and adding the information on IMDb since April 18, 2007, the first of which was an indication of Patrick Macnee as an extra in the film Hamlet with Laurence Olivier.
Thanks for that. I wonder what part he is playing (I presume it is non-speaking if he is an extra).
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Rhonda wrote:
denis rigg wrote:I started correcting and adding the information on IMDb since April 18, 2007, the first of which was an indication of Patrick Macnee as an extra in the film Hamlet with Laurence Olivier.
Thanks for that. I wonder what part he is playing (I presume it is non-speaking if he is an extra).
It was a tiny role of extra (a courtier) in the background in a scene 'watching the play'. :wink: On Patrick Macnee site with the old design was a shot from the movie with his image in close-up. :)

http://www.patrickmacnee.com/work/comments1.html

Interesting, that Patrick had other offer in that time before agreeing to play in the film Hamlet: to replace Paul Scofield in a stage play The Relapse. :wink: The choice fell to the last, not least because of the star cast.

By the way, except Pygmalion, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and Seven Days to Noon, some sources indicate that Patrick played the extra in the movies "Sailors Three" (1940) and "Major Barbara" (1941). I have not been able to find his there like other mentioned films. :( I think that in some of these films, his role could to be cut at all.

In one online chat, Patrick said that he began to take part as an extra in the movies in the second half of 1930s. He even called the title of his first film, but unfortunately I do not remember the details (this chat was soon eliminated on the internet and I do not know if anyone else has kept it). If my memory serves me correctly in this area, he called 1936. In any case I remember absolutely well, that Pygmalion was not the first film in which he participated as an extra. :wink:
We still have a lot of secrets. :)
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Right now while working for episode pages on its website, found that actor Gary Hope died on 13 May 2012 in Guildford, Surrey, England, UK

http://www.bmdsonline.co.uk/trinity-mir ... so_bmd_kii

I have done the necessary research and it is our actor.

Just added this info to the list of updates for admins of IMDb.

Gary Hope in The Avengers:

The Superlative Seven (1967) ... Joe Smith
November Five (1963) ... Dyter
A Change of Bait (1961) ... Barker
Last edited by denis rigg on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Right now added the info from The Stage on IMDb for Gertrude Kaye (one of knitters from episode The Girl from Auntie):

Born: May 1, 1887

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0443312/

Last edited by denis rigg on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Turns, dear fans, year and place of birth of Rocky on IMDb and many other resourses are wrong! Websites indicates: Rocky born in 1946, Weybridge, Surrey, England, UK.

Actually:

Born: February 28, 1945 in Bermondsey, London, England, UK

I sent the info to IMDb. :wink:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0853092/
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Today, the following study was done:

1. G. B. Walker
Casting Director of The Avengers film era.

I found that first name of G. is Gerry. Born: 1923 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0907740/

2. Terry Green
One of production designer of 2 and 3 Avengers season.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1254347/

Actually, IMDb pages Terry Green (I) (director) and Terry Green (VII) (production designer) presents the works of one same person, except all actor works of Terry Green (I), as it's mistake.
Turns, our Terry Green...

Born: March 18, 1935 in London, England, UK
Died: January 10, 2013 (age 77) in Lewisham, London, England, UK

3. Alpho O'Reilly
One of production designer of first Avengers season.

Irishman Alpho was born in 1922, and started as an actor and designer in stage plays in Ireland. About 4 January 1996 he mysteriously disappeared. His car, an apple green Mitsubishi Colt, registration no 95 D 6446 is also missing and has not been located to date. The last sighting of him was in January 1996 at 3 AM in the morning when he stopped for petrol in Ashford Co Wicklow. He seemed to be very forgetful at the time. He was seen heading in the direction of Wexford.
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Right now, finally I found the info for Jean Fairlie, wardrobe in first block of many color Emma Peel episodes.

Full name: Jean Mary Agnes Fairlie
Born: June 25, 1924 in London, England, UK
Died: 2007

Information sent to IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0265618/
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Michael Whittaker
One of costume designers for Honor Blackman.

New info:

Full name: John Michael Antony De Baguleygh Whittaker
Died: August, 1995 in London, England, UK

Information sent to IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926451/
Denis