The New Avengers on Bluray? (UPDATE)

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

TangerineSteed
Nutshell

Post by TangerineSteed »

Had a message from Network today.
There are apparently a lot of hurdles to overcome before The New Avengers gets a Blu-ray release.
They weren’t willing to discuss details but for now, this looks a long way off.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

TangerineSteed wrote:Had a message from Network today.
There are apparently a lot of hurdles to overcome before The New Avengers gets a Blu-ray release.
They weren’t willing to discuss details but for now, this looks a long way off.
Yes, they are in contract discussions with Studio Canal and have been for some time so don't want to do anything that jeopardises the final agreement. I would guess that means they have the source film/negs but haven't commenced remastering yet.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

mrspeel01 wrote:I am also really surprised at the differing quality of the prints. I haven't watched TNA dvds for some time but i will now have a look. I have the UK sets, (just wondered if the most recent UK set with the 2 commentaries by Gareth Hunt & Brian Clemens-both sadly gone now-is the same prints as earlier set), the French "kiosk" set, the US A&E set and the Australian set. Does seem a bit mad to have so many looking back but a fan is a fan so there you go!
Is "the French kiosk set" different to the two boxes one for each season? Think they were red and blue. Just different packaging?
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

The original dvd sets for the New Avengers, as released by A & E, are getting hard to find...and are becoming somewhat rare...it would be nice, if say, LIONSGATE (U.S.) would do the honors..as they did for the original A & E Emma Peel set....
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

The positives noises about Network releasing The New Avengers seem to have gone.

Network said on their facebook page in response to a request for information:

""It's a much requested one that we'd love to release Simon. There are a number of complicated factors involved but it's on our wishlist and we'll let everyone know if any plans develop""

I think we can safely infer that any discussion with Studio Canal has got to be one of the complicated factors.

We live in hope.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

darren wrote:The positives noises about Network releasing The New Avengers seem to have gone.

Network said on their facebook page in response to a request for information:

""It's a much requested one that we'd love to release Simon. There are a number of complicated factors involved but it's on our wishlist and we'll let everyone know if any plans develop""

I think we can safely infer that any discussion with Studio Canal has got to be one of the complicated factors.

We live in hope.
exactly..sometimes studios, have no sense of history, importance culturally certain programs or series has...and too often times, they can be 'greedy' in asking for fees and conditions for 'new' release....too many times, the releases aren't done from best possible source material, or simply allowed to sit in the archives...ending up on a fan's wish list
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Let's keep fingers crossed, I do think they are genuinely enthusiastic to do it; it'd have as much prestige as series like The Persuaders! and Robin of Sherwood that they did brilliant jobs on. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

As was pointed out on Roobarbs Forum - the response was a general response that they do all the time on Social Media.

So it's maybe not looking as bad as assumed.:)
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Re: The New Avengers on Bluray? (UPDATE)

Post by Lando »

I’d love to have the new avengers on Blu-ray. I love the Blu-ray sets for The Avengers.
mousemeat

Re: The New Avengers on Bluray? (UPDATE)

Post by mousemeat »

by all means, a new blu ray release of the New Avengers, would be needed...at least for the U.S. market...as I remember the original DVD release of the series, and how badly mastered it was...i.e. poor chroma, colors, etc...