The New Avengers on DVD

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

MusicalDave
White Dwarf

The New Avengers on DVD

Post by MusicalDave »

Hi all. So as we can sadly surmise that TNA isn't heading to bluray, I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading my contender TNA discs to the Optimum release from a few years ago? The extras seem negligible but does anyone know if the films were rescanned / remastered from this release?

It's my understanding that the Avengers optimum DVD releases were from 2k scans, which eventually made the blurays. Is that the case here also?

Thanks in advance. Dave.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Hi, the Studio Canal (Optimum) box set was released only 4 years after the Contender box set, and I would be surprised if there was any improvement. I've got the later Studio canal box set, which is OK but not great. Still haven't watched season 2, but all of season 1 are fairly clean with the exception of Eagle's nest which is a far inferior picture to the rest. In fact it is worse than my old vhs copy! :shock: Does anyone know why this happened? The others are fine, but are far from remastered. I bet Studio Canal used the same masters as the old VHS tapes. Shocking really, after the care they took with the original Avengers box sets. Rich.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

cyberrich wrote:with the exception of Eagle's nest which is a far inferior picture to the rest. In fact it is worse than my old vhs copy!
Quite strange. I have the DVD kiosk collection and Eagle's Nest has no lower quality than the other episodes.
johnnybear
Thingumajig

Post by johnnybear »

I have the US A & E discs, what is your varied opinion of these? They do have some of the violence which was excised on other versions!
JB
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

denis wrote:
cyberrich wrote:with the exception of Eagle's nest which is a far inferior picture to the rest. In fact it is worse than my old vhs copy!
Quite strange. I have the DVD kiosk collection and Eagle's Nest has no lower quality than the other episodes.
naw, I actually believe my VHS copies look better than the initial DVD releases..if any series needs to be remastered....especially in blu-ray, it's this series....will it ever see a U.S. blu-ray issue? probably when pigs fly...