The New Avengers 'Cybernaut' Bust Displays.

Your mission is to post, highlight and discuss Avengers fan fiction, art and other creative endeavours!
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

The New Avengers 'Cybernaut' Bust Displays.

Post by Avengerholic »

This was an idea I had for four identical 1st prize winners trophies, built from scratch, for an event taking place later this year. Hard work building four, but I'm finding them fun to make all the same :) Ultimately, when the first trophy was completed and then submitted, the design wasn't liked by one of the organisers and rejected, hence the trophies below will not be used. Still no worries, as everyone else inc my friends and family who saw it really liked it. I'm continuing to build the full set all the same, I'd already made all of the parts necessary to complete the four anyway. I thought I'd document building them along the way, in case it's of interest to anyone, or in case anyone would like to attempt something similar for themselves. I think they would look cool in a den, or what's that term 'man cave' :D

1 of 4
ImageImage
Last edited by Avengerholic on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 45 times in total.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

You need to repeat this process for each trophy.

Resin top coat
Fibreglass underbody
Last edited by Avengerholic on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

A Cybernaut in a bubble bath ;)

Once fully cured a quick sand, trim and an undercoat of aluminium.

Last edited by Avengerholic on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Once that was completed, I did the same procedure creating four black pigment fibreglass half Homburg hats as those were the style used in the New Avengers. I then bonded the fibreglass mask and the fibreglass half homburg to create one complete fibreglass cast.

The very rough fibreglass casting before it's refined

Four heavy duty acrylic high gloss black bases needed to be built to stop the trophies from toppling over as the heads were fairly weighty !

Some refining to perfect the head casting, and a rough fit up of the bust and stand

Last edited by Avengerholic on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Cut display plates from four different colours of 3mm Fluorescent acrylic sheet to back the engraved metal plaques (just to make the trophies slightly unique from each other)

No.1 finished & No.2 awaiting a top coat of matt black and aluminium paint, glasses, silk hat band and winners plaque.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

No.3 on the grinder while the top coat of paint on No.2 is drying out :lol:

MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Ian

These are looking good, a production line no less.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

MikeR wrote:Ian

These are looking good, a production line no less.
You're very kind Mike, as always. Thank you very much. I'm not good at building two of anything, retreading old ground is a struggle for me as I get bored quickly. So building FOUR of these is a nightmare, and certainly not something I'd choose to take on, but as I'd started what I was asked to do, I'm bloody well determined to see it through to the end. I'm sure three will be fully completed by tomorrow night, with the final one well under way. After that I can put the whole project behind me and concentrate on finishing all the other stuff I've already got on the go :D
Last edited by Avengerholic on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

My back garden is looking like a lost episode of The New Avengers this afternoon'The March Of The Cybernauts'

See what I did there, March Of .... you know ... It's March :lol:

... And the display stands ... Thank the Lord it's nearly over !

Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Nearly there. These three have all had their final hammered aluminium finish paint jobs, and are now stacked up in the workshop ready to have the finishing touches added later today, really, really cool 8) I love em :D

ImageImage