The Avengers - Colour Series 5 on ITV4 - 11th Sept 2017

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

The Avengers - Colour Series 5 on ITV4 - 11th Sept 2017

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

From Venus With Love is on ITV4 Monday 11th September 2017 in a repeat run of colour series 5 - hopefully with all episodes uncut - especially Murdersville.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: The Avengers - Colour Series 5 on ITV4 - 11th Sept 2017

Post by mousemeat »

mrs_emma_peel wrote:From Venus With Love is on ITV4 Monday 11th September 2017 in a repeat run of colour series 5 - hopefully with all episodes uncut - especially Murdersville.
always had a bit of wicked pleasure, when watching 'Murdersville'..LOL
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Series 6 on ITV4

Post by Ian Wegg »

I haven't been watching these until now but I've just tuned into ITV4 this afternoon and I see they've moved on to series 6. An interesting episode "Legacy of Death" and as a petrolhead I'm particularly pleased to see Tara's Lotus Europa and a green Porsche 911.

BUT the sound pitch is completely out, everything is too high! Steed and Tara are on helium and Stratford Johns' voice is totally unrecognisable. Ronald Lacey is less than his normal menacing self when he sounds like a woman.

I'm aware there were sound pitch issues on some DVD releases but this is the first time I've encountered it. Surely it was resolved long ago? How on earth can a regular broadcast channel be transmitting a version with this fault?

I'm watching the cars now with the sound off!

~iw
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Ah this was the replacement version. They should have shown the replacement replacement version.

The image on the first try was really dark so they sent a fixed version but I think I'm right in saying that hadn't been pitch corrected.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, they fixed the "wowing" contrast on the first version but then pitch-shifted it up instead of down, so it got about another 4% higher (on top of an already 4% speeded-up frequencuy) instead of 4% lower to correct for PAL.

Lacey was always a bit breathy and light in this as he's doing a Peter Lorre impression.

I don't think they ever issued a replacement replacement. With DVD players being taken off the market there'd probably no demand for another set of DVDs.
Last watched: "Trojan Horse"
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Season 5 gets another airing on ITV4 starting with FVWL tomorrow (21st) at 2.35pm. I'm sure everyone on this forum already has the box sets, but it's still great to see The Avengers there on the tv listings. These days people don't have to wait long for a repeat viewing. I still remember that very long 9 year gap between Channel 4's run ending in 1985, and Bravo's run in 1994. :D
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I always hope that with these repeat screenings, there are new fans waiting in the wings. People who catch the odd bizarre moment and become hooked.:)
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Darren wrote:I always hope that with these repeat screenings, there are new fans waiting in the wings. People who catch the odd bizarre moment and become hooked.:)
I've had a few of my 'younger' friends do exactly that....and end of becoming fans.....fresh blood is cool....LOL !
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:Season 5 gets another airing on ITV4 starting with FVWL tomorrow (21st) at 2.35pm. I'm sure everyone on this forum already has the box sets, but it's still great to see The Avengers there on the tv listings. These days people don't have to wait long for a repeat viewing. I still remember that very long 9 year gap between Channel 4's run ending in 1985, and Bravo's run in 1994. :D
ITV4 are notorious for editing episodes though, so I wonder what they will cut out? Most recently (in this past month or so) they've shown Robin of Sherwood with some cuts made. Thank goodness for DVDs.
Last watched: "Trojan Horse"
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

Frankymole wrote:
cyberrich wrote:Season 5 gets another airing on ITV4 starting with FVWL tomorrow (21st) at 2.35pm. I'm sure everyone on this forum already has the box sets, but it's still great to see The Avengers there on the tv listings. These days people don't have to wait long for a repeat viewing. I still remember that very long 9 year gap between Channel 4's run ending in 1985, and Bravo's run in 1994. :D
ITV4 are notorious for editing episodes though, so I wonder what they will cut out? Most recently (in this past month or so) they've shown Robin of Sherwood with some cuts made. Thank goodness for DVDs.
American channels are bad for that as well. I've always loved M*A*S*H, but they butcher re-runs of it so bad I don't bother watching anymore!