Dead Duck

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Dead Duck

Post by Avengerholic »

With postings on the forum virtually grinding to a halt, has interest in The Avengers reached an all time low ? There are 8106 members here, and new ones joining all the time, yet nobody posts ! This seems to be the norm now rather than a quiet lull. As many of the die hard fans who remember the series original run move into their 50th and probably 60th years themselves, and with many of the people associated with it being no longer with us, is the Avengers as a topic for discussion finally approaching it's shelf life ? Is there really anything new to say that hasn't already been said over the, what, past 25 years ? It seems not. There was a time a couple of decades ago when everyone over the age of 30 seemed to know the Avengers, and Avengers forums were a buzz with activity. These days it seems many people in their 40's haven't even heard of it. Sadly I think as a topic for general discussion and interest, the Avengers is rapidly becoming something of a dead duck. I'm finding recently too, that for the second and probably final time in my life, that my interest in the show is again on a rapid decline.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I'd say that for the conversation to continue, there needs to be a new generation of fans to ask questions and want to find out more about the series. With the show airing on True Entertainment and ITV4, there's hope of that happening - and that's just in the UK.

But I'm with you. My personal interest peaked sometime ago. Sad but true.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

There's a lot of Avengers interest, chat, and excellent photo-posts on The Avengerians (with nearly 3.000 members and growing rapidly)
and Fans of Diana Rigg Facebook Groups from fans all over the world - but very sadly, a declining number of posts here.

I definitely think there is a large new generation of interest out there - but we are not seeing it reflected on the forum.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Not that I've looked but apparently interest thrives on Tumblr but then that's more of a visual arena to post animated gif etc - dare i suggest it takes less effort to post a pre-existing photo and have it liked whatever.

A couple of years back I found it very stimulating to contribute to the books that Rodney Marshall compiled - looking at episodes in a deeper way than would normally be the case.

I agree that it needs new fans and as Alan says the reshowing may encourage new fans.

Is it wider than The Avengers - is Cult TV in general hitting a lull. Have we now discovered all those things that made us nostalgic or galvanised our interest. There are no more episodes to be released (well Tunnel of Fear but I don't expect to see that outside of a pirate copy..), there's nothing to stimulate our interest. Once upon a time, the videos were slowly being released and they had episode titles on them of which i knew nothing or had only read a synopsis. Now the series amounts to a favourite book you once read sitting on a shelf.

I still like to stick the odd episode on from time to time, have the odd mini-marathon.

But I'm sure for all of us, life has changed around our interest and we don't have the same space to indulge or there's too much to indulge in so our interest is diluted by all the other stuff.

In terms of the forum - the show isn't one that especially invites deep analysis from the broader fan base - we enjoy the superficial aspects and they don't that doesn't necessarily encourage long term discussion and debate. In days gone by the most debate came from those defending Tara King's value against Emma Peel's.

Yes, the forum does have new members (when they're not those bots thing) but there's nothing to encourage and excite discussion.

...Maybe someone will be mad enough to create a new series that actually succeeds and then we'll have someone to hate and say it's not as good as the classic and others say it doesn't need to be they can both exist and others who only love the new series...haha
mrspeel01
Thingumajig

Post by mrspeel01 »

This is interesting. I have found that despite owning all the DVDs etc , i make a point of watching the showings on true entertainment and now ITV4. I find i am still very much interested in the series. Though part of the joy for me has been to watch the Julie Stevens episodes, and mock her singing. It's become a bit of a game now, and i'm surprised it isn't more popular. Cringing and laughing at the same time.! Maybe it's only me...

The series has always been my all-time favourite and I am always on the look-out for merchandise. The big finish graphic novel of the original "Diana" comic-strips was so welcome. I have also recently gotten into the Roger Marshall books, which I find an enjoyable read.

Hopefully, as mentioned, the showings on 2 UK channels now will mean more new fans. But I think the point about the popularity of the series on tumblr and facebook is a significant one. For new fans coming onto the forum it could be a bit of a jolt not to see images everywhere, accompanying the text. The increased visual aspect of social media may mean the nature of forums seems "dry" to some. I know it won't really be a forum in the true sense, but perhaps if there could be a way to easily post images as well, it may attract more new fans. Just a thought.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Facebook and the like has made a dent in all forums. I belong to a few forums and they have all been quiet for some time. I wouldn't say they're a dead duck though. I still learn things here, such as Diana's appearance at Elstree this Sunday. I read about that here. I didn't see a mention of it anywhere else. Thanks to this forum I bought a ticket and I'm going :!: I'll let you all know what Diana says on Sunday.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Rich

I will be there, along with half the regular attendees of the Treasure Hunt Event.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

That's great to hear. I'm travelling down alone from Birmingham as I couldn't talk anyone into coming along. The only Avengers fans I know are on here. It would be nice to meet you all but as we've never met before I doubt we'll recognise each other. :lol: If we don't see each other have a great day! Looking forward to hearing Diana speak.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Actually the avengers forum is doing better than you would think. Think back to a year and half ago when Alan posted about this very issue. People had stopped posting and the forum looked like it was going to die. And the presence of social was not the only reason for it

But people came back though because they love this place enough to keep it going. the activity is way better than it was 2 years ago. It says a lot with a show that ceased to be active for the last 20 years

Facebook and tumbler does make it easier but I also find it makes for a lot lazier postings. I prefer actual forums like tis when discussing common interest or fandom where people have to actually make more effort to engage each other

sadly I don't post much since after 20 years of discussions in this and earlier versions of the forum I've pretty much ran out of things to say.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I agree with Frank, it's a combination of facebook, tumblr and other commitments taking our time away from us. Britmovies is similarly affected so it's not just us here.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.