1.26 - Dragonsfield

dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Nothing so exciting, I'm afraid. It's "The Drug Pedlar" from TV Crimebusters Annual 1962.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... edlar.html

I don't know where Alan got the details for The Rook, Fifi and the Scorpion, or Gale Force. I don't have them and they're not in the archives I have been given so I can't really cover them.

As an additional bonus, the scripts for all series 1 episodes where available are now linked from their pages.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Wow, personally, I got these exciting on updates, Piers - basically I liked the current look of the first series pages with attachments of scripts + "The Drug Pedlar" in PDF (now pages looks voluminous and convenient). :P Are you planning updates for the next episodes along a similar path?

Umm, if Alan got the details for The Rook, Fifi and the Scorpion, or Gale Force not in the archives, hopefully there has been an other reliable source.
Denis
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Apparently it's still acceptable to use the word "Chinaman" for a left-handed googly in cricket.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

PS in the text there are two footnote indicators saying [1]. The second one should be a [2], for the water injection.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Apparently it's still acceptable to use the word "Chinaman" for a left-handed googly in cricket.

wow, haven't heard that term especially in print, for many years..
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Thanks Denis, yes I will be continuing the updates through series 2 and so on, not sure if I'll stick to the update on the 60th anniversary schedule though... as that would mean not updating Bizarre until 21st April 2029. (You can tell I considered it, huh?)
Alan doesn't really cover Gale Force, but the others he does.

Thanks Franky, as ever, for helping improve my work; that footnote is fixed.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

dissolute wrote:Thanks Denis, yes I will be continuing the updates through series 2 and so on, not sure if I'll stick to the update on the 60th anniversary schedule though... as that would mean not updating Bizarre until 21st April 2029. (You can tell I considered it, huh?)
Alan doesn't really cover Gale Force, but the others he does.
Cheers, Piers, this is another New Year's gift for Avengers fans that you are going to keep making updates through series 2 and so on. Exactly, it would be a long wait until the last episode if The New Avengers will also be attached to the 60th anniversary schedule. :)

Here's how. Well, it is possible that Alan really has something for Gale Force, but did not publish it due to, for example, an agreement with someone. :wink:
Denis
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote: Thanks Franky, as ever, for helping improve my work; that footnote is fixed.
No worries, as always it's never a criticism (I'm the worst person in the world for typos, so easily done, and really appreciate any editor or reviewer!), I'm utterly in awe of your site and its pages which are the best on the internet, bar none. It's been the absolute crux of my series rewatch/re-listen and has added to my appreciation of the episodes many times over.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
denis rigg wrote:Yes, these are interesting reasoning. Nick worked in television and has personal experience, I worked at the most famous Russian video market in the field of selling audio and video media. As a matter of fact, in the market one could meet different personalities who had treasures in their collection. One could buy, another could steal, etc. I was not a supporter of theft, which was at its prime in those early years in Russia, but it is a fact that it was widespread.
At record fairs and conventions in the 80s and 90s, you could quite often get a videotape recorded surreptitiously from a BBC edit suite - timecode and all. Sometimes a few generations down so a bit fuzzy, but in an age when there was no guarantee any of these things would ever be seen again - even the sell-through home video market was subject to series being stopped partway through - it was like gold dust.

Fans had sneaked in to the TV companies and the gold was getting out. I am quite happy to buy, again and again, the proper versions. True fans do that.

Exactly....over the years, I've bought copies in first, VHS....then dvd...and then if warranted..blu-ray....when made available;e....up next?? 4K......of course I occasionally think about PAL format..vs U.S. NTSC......I had fun as an engineer in broadcasting..
AnthonyDurrant
Thingumajig

Dragonsfield

Post by AnthonyDurrant »

My own theory that Dragonsfield is a space centre and that Steed is in a centrifuge is, l believe, still valid, especially since at this time there was a clandestine effort to put an observation platform in space by both America and Russia. My theory is that this foreign power had already launched a platform into space and didn't want the UK to do so as well (as did Russia). Advances in technology rendered the American platform obsolete before it had even left the ground.