Actors considered for The Avengers

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Actors considered for The Avengers

Post by cyberrich »

I'm hoping people can fill in some of the gaps in this list. If I remember correctly both Nyree Dawn Porter and Fenella Fielding were shortlisted for Cathy Gale. I'm not sure if they were unavailable or just turned it down, but happily Honor Blackman who I believe was 4th on the list won the role. I'm not sure who was 3rd choice. Were other actors considered for Dr Keel and John Steed :?: I haven't heard, so I presume not. Angela Douglas was considered for Venus Smith. Obviously Diana Rigg replaced the short-lived Elizabeth Shepherd, but were any others considered for Mrs Peel, at both points in time. Mary Peach and Tracy Reed were shortlisted for the Tara role, but lost to Linda,who as we know named her own character. Were any others on the same list :?: Joanna Lumley I believe was always 1st choice for Purdey, and Gareth Hunt won the role of Gambit after his screen test with Joanna showed promising chemistry. Lewis Collins and Gabrielle Drake I believe did the other screen test, so I presume they were both runners up. I did hear that Patrick Mower was another who lost the part of Gambit to Gareth.
This list is by no means complete, so I'd love to hear if any other actors were almost cast in The Avengers.
:)
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Brian Clemens really favoured Gabrielle Drake for Charley/Purdey - maybe Fennell and Johnson weren't as keen. Louise Jameson (Leela in Doctor Who amongst other things) screen-tested and got quite close. "Clemens says he seriously considered 700 girls, interviewed 200, read scripts with 40 and screen tested 15." Sara Douglas, Gabrielle Drake, Jan Francis, Prunella Gee, Lisa Harrow, Jan Harvey, Barbara Kellerman, Rula Lenska, , Diane Quick, Carolyn Seymour and Diana Weston

Patrick Mower was allegedly on the list for Gambit. As well as Malcolm Stoddard, John Nettles, Tommy Boyle, Ian Charleson, Lewis Collins and Michael Elphick.

Moira Redmond screen-tested for Emma Peel (she did two season 1 episodes), also a relative unknown actress Sarah Brackett.

We know from the DVD's that a lot of actresses were screen-tested for the Tara King role (such a shame that no audio survived).
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Re: Actors considered for The Avengers

Post by MikeR »

cyberrich wrote:I'm hoping people can fill in some of the gaps in this list. If I remember correctly both Nyree Dawn Porter and Fenella Fielding were shortlisted for Cathy Gale. I'm not sure if they were unavailable or just turned it down, but happily Honor Blackman who I believe was 4th on the list won the role. I'm not sure who was 3rd choice. Were other actors considered for Dr Keel and John Steed :?: I haven't heard, so I presume not. Angela Douglas was considered for Venus Smith. Obviously Diana Rigg replaced the short-lived Elizabeth Shepherd, but were any others considered for Mrs Peel, at both points in time. Mary Peach and Tracy Reed were shortlisted for the Tara role, but lost to Linda,who as we know named her own character. Were any others on the same list :?: Joanna Lumley I believe was always 1st choice for Purdey, and Gareth Hunt won the role of Gambit after his screen test with Joanna showed promising chemistry. Lewis Collins and Gabrielle Drake I believe did the other screen test, so I presume they were both runners up. I did hear that Patrick Mower was another who lost the part of Gambit to Gareth.
This list is by no means complete, so I'd love to hear if any other actors were almost cast in The Avengers.
rich

If you check out my book Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots, it goes into great detail regarding other casting options, plus interviews, auditions and screentests of performers who failed get coveted roles in both The Avengers and The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

MikeR wrote:
cyberrich wrote:I'm hoping people can fill in some of the gaps in this list. If I remember correctly both Nyree Dawn Porter and Fenella Fielding were shortlisted for Cathy Gale. I'm not sure if they were unavailable or just turned it down, but happily Honor Blackman who I believe was 4th on the list won the role. I'm not sure who was 3rd choice. Were other actors considered for Dr Keel and John Steed :?: I haven't heard, so I presume not. Angela Douglas was considered for Venus Smith. Obviously Diana Rigg replaced the short-lived Elizabeth Shepherd, but were any others considered for Mrs Peel, at both points in time. Mary Peach and Tracy Reed were shortlisted for the Tara role, but lost to Linda,who as we know named her own character. Were any others on the same list :?: Joanna Lumley I believe was always 1st choice for Purdey, and Gareth Hunt won the role of Gambit after his screen test with Joanna showed promising chemistry. Lewis Collins and Gabrielle Drake I believe did the other screen test, so I presume they were both runners up. I did hear that Patrick Mower was another who lost the part of Gambit to Gareth.
This list is by no means complete, so I'd lovthanks e to hear if any other actors were almost cast in The Avengers.
rich

If you check out my book Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots, it goes into great detail regarding other casting options, plus interviews, auditions and screentests of performers who failed get coveted roles in both The Avengers and The New Avengers.

Interesting...Thanks for the heads up!....I never get tired of reading about the misc seasons...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Darren wrote:Brian Clemens really favoured Gabrielle Drake for Charley/Purdey - maybe Fennell and Johnson weren't as keen. Louise Jameson (Leela in Doctor Who amongst other things) screen-tested and got quite close.
She was down to the last ten... "'I nearly got Survivors [the BBC’s 1970s post-apocalyptic drama] and I got down to the last ten for Purdey [from The New Avengers] – but, y’know, who wants Joanna Lumley’s career?!,' Jameson quipped." - Radio Times
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Hind24V
Nutshell

Post by Hind24V »

I don't know, Louise Jameson is quite the actress, and would have been a great part of the cast. For what role was she auditioned?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Hind24V wrote:I don't know, Louise Jameson is quite the actress, and would have been a great part of the cast. For what role was she auditioned?
For Purdey.

And yes, she is a great actress. For my money, she's the best actress there's ever been in Doctor Who, and she has some stiff competition.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

I can't think of her name....it's on the tip of my tongue...the blonde headed actress who was in the rare color mini episode...that was done for american TV....wasn't she considered for the part of Tara king ? which Linda Thorson landed
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Morgan Fairchild?
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Hind24V
Nutshell

Post by Hind24V »

Frankymole wrote:For Purdey.

And yes, she is a great actress. For my money, she's the best actress there's ever been in Doctor Who, and she has some stiff competition.
Okay, that's what I thought, but I had a doubt. She wouldn't have been a worse Purdey than Joanna Lumley, but not a better one either; any choice would have been good in this case!