Cybernauts Blu-Ray DVD

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

miller
Nutshell

Cybernauts Blu-Ray DVD

Post by miller »

Exciting new Cybernauts Blu-Ray DVD available for pre-order.

https://networkonair.com/coming-soon/30 ... 5708945056
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Exciting and surprising news.

Network releasing episodes of the Avengers.

Last of the Cybernauts..? would appear to be restored and looks rather lovely judging from the trailer!

It seems probably that Network must have found the original masters when they found The Professionals masters (since Studio Canal didn't possess them).

Here's hoping for finally a decent release of the 70's series. I just know it would look absolutely stunning in HD. Those amazing directors deserve to have their work seen in the best possible shape!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Definitely the most exciting release - the picture quality of Last of the Cybernauts? is superb, if they've done the full restoration on all of The New Avengers that they did for The Professionals it will be worth the long wait we've had.
Fingers crossed!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

This is great news! I've been waiting for a TNA restoration for years. "The Last of the Cybernauts…??" looks truly incredible.
Here's hoping for finally a decent release of the 70's series. I just know it would look absolutely stunning in HD. Those amazing directors deserve to have their work seen in the best possible shape!
I can't wait :D
Steed: "Eee-urp!!"
Big Bear
Little Wonder

Post by Big Bear »

So excited about this release, was hoping Network would get the rights to release The Avengers at some point. I had a screening of these three episodes last summer and it was very well received.

Hope it leads to season sets of The New Avengers later on. :D
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Big Bear wrote:I had a screening of these three episodes last summer and it was very well received.
An interesting coincidence, which may cause the desire to re-screening these episodes again, but in high quality. :wink:

----------------------------------------------------------------

This release is an important event. which is almost like finding the lost Avengers episodes with David Keel. Seriously, let's see what the value is:

1. This is greatest discovery that the previously considered lost masters of the series TNA unexpectedly discovered. How? Where? When? At the moment it is shrouded in mystery for most of us.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Alan Hayes told that StudioCanal did not have available original episode prints and I personally thought that this was one of the reasons why they did not release the series on Blu Ray. Now there is a big chance that in the future we will see other TNA episodes on Blu Ray (partially or complete). Well, this release looks as a possible advertisement for the further Avengers/TNA ideas from the company Network Distributing.

2. According to Network websites:
We’ve pulled the original film elements for all three episodes into the Network studio for brand new, painstaking, High Definition restorations, exclusively for this release.

If we follow this statement, we will watch differences between the prints based on Optimum masters and the Network in favor of the latter. :wink: Yes, previously released mentioned masters had errors.

The Cybernauts

a) Some scenes in DVD and Blu Rays editions based on Optimum master have "increased screen resolution".

b) Optimum master have a fading and lightening of the screen between the scenes "Emma looks at the card" and "Steed at the company United Automation", while for example in the USA editions the frame was just changing. Well, we will see which option will be presented by Network for this point.

Return of the Cybernauts

Initially, Optimum master had two cuts, after update there is still one.

cut out one and a half second of a footage, where Paul brings the bottle to the glass on the table.

Optimum master starts footage immediately from this frame:

while actually this full footage starts from lightening of the screen with this frame:

3. According to Network websites:
we’re also presenting the option to watch each episode in its contemporary transmission context, with actual commercials in situ.

This is a real exclusive for many Avengers/TNA fans. :P

4. According to Network websites:
Included in the package is a 32-page booklet by celebrated television historian Andrew Pixley detailing the history of the three episodes.

Andrew, who contributed a lot to the development of Avengerland and continues to delight Avengers fans, is always diligent and careful in his work. Often trying to present some pleasant surprises in his detailed approach and for me personally his name is a sign of quality on any product. Very pleased that Andrew has participated in this release.

I wish I could see the name of Alan there... Good great friend. :(

5. This release perfectly shows that the company has a desire to work in this direction. Didn't we expect that for a certain company or group of people to have enthusiasm for important official releases? Avengerland continues to live thanks to all who is and was part of it - as this life contributes to such events and discoveries.
Denis
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Very exciting news re The last of the Cybernauts :!: It looks great in this clip. I'm keeping everything crossed that this might lead to a fully restored TNA box set. My dvd box set looks no better than my VHS copies. I thought the masters were lost, hence no digital quality. I wonder what has happened here :?:
mrspeel01
Thingumajig

Post by mrspeel01 »

In an earlier discussion about TNA on blu-ray on this forum back in 2017 (which i was part of), Mike Richardson stated that "talk at the Treasure Hunt" was that Studio Canal could not find a complete set of masters. This suggests they could have at least one/some of them. ??! Though Alan did state that a thorough worldwide search hadn't unearthed any.

The new cybernauts trilogy blu ray suggests that "last of the Cybernauts" could be one of the (few?) masters that is available or has enough original film elements for restoration. ??!!

if this is the only one of if there are more, and for which stories is unknown unless Mike R., or someone else in the know has more info. about that.

Ron
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Here is how, this leads to reflections. :?

I was just at Roobarb, Alan says the following about TNA negatives there (dated by 10 May 2019):

They definitely were lost - the owners StudioCanal were unaware of their location, never having had them in the archive (only holding videotape masters) and conducted a fruitless search. I suspect that Network found them at the time they tracked down the Professionals negs and have been keeping their cards close to their chest.

Based on this, we have the hope that Network will give us other surprises if they have found more than one negative (and I personally tend to this opinion).

On the other hand, if they found negatives recently, it is a bit strange why there was no news about it from the company or anyone who definitely should have been aware of and informed some people, related to Avengerland, for example. :?

It would really be interesting to hear the details on this topic from a person who is in the know (who corresponded or communicated with someone (s) from StudioCanal or Network).
Denis
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I suspect they didn't want to announce anything until they had made a deal with Studio Canal to be allowed to remaster and make their own release.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.