Cybernauts Blu-Ray DVD

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Lee wrote:I have now watched Return of the Cybernauts - here are some thoughts / observations.

The picture really does look lovely. In fact, I had never realised that there was a blue hue to the champagne glasses seen in the opening moments of the title sequence - I had to go back and watch it again to check that I wasn't seeing things. This really is 'The Avengers in Colour'!!

Watching the film, the skies in the outdoor sequences really stood out to me - the blues and the clouds seemed so clear and real. Throughout, I found myself noticing things I hadn't paid any attention to before - such as Emma's shoes! She was wearing some very colourful footwear during this episode and the colours really jumped out at me (not usually someone who notices shoes!)

However, I did notice some of the sound issues I have seen others discuss on different forums. Not necessarily with the theme tune as others seem to say - to me it sounds quite full through my hifi amp and floor standing speakers (yes, perhaps a little missing midrange as I said before) but not incorrectly pitched as in the DVDs - but in the dialogue, particularly that of Peter Cushing. The scenes in his mansion, and particularly the room where Steed an Emma spend a lot of time, seem to be affected. When Beresford was having a conversation with Steed during one scene, the quality seemed to me to noticeably change between Cushing and Macnee as each delivered their lines. Perhaps I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't running it through my Hi-Fi, but it did strike me as a little odd.

I'm still enjoying this, though, and I'm now looking forward to seeing The New Avengers as I've never seen them before......
Re: shoes. Shoes set the tone of any outfit.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

The difference is great.
If Network releases season 4, I would buy it again !
https://vimeo.com/353104394
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

denis wrote:The difference is great.
If Network releases season 4, I would buy it again !
https://vimeo.com/353104394
Same here. :wink: Problem with incorrect screen resolution for some scenes present in episode The Thirteenth Hole too. And some episodes contains little cuts on StudioCanal, which are not on A&E, for example.
Denis
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Cybernauts Blu-Ray DVD

Post by Frankymole »

This review video may be of interest. Greg Bakun makes really excellent videos with humour and good judgement, good clips, and a real love of archive British TV:

Last edited by Frankymole on Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

The well-deserved heaping of praise on Andrew Pixley starts at 13'28" :D

From about 24'00" he talks about the possibility of Season 1-3 on BluRay...
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Frankymole wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:34 am The well-deserved heaping of praise on Andrew Pixley starts at 13'28" :D
Oh, bless him. I remember that when this set came out, the viewing notes went down like a bucket of cold sick at the avforums.

Greg's enthusiasm is brilliant isn't it? I've heard quite a few of his podcasts and he has some smashing interviews. I know that he was getting a bit despondent recently when nobody turned out online for a chat he had with BBC Archive Selector Sue Malden... and I'd hate to see him lose his interest and passion for this subject.

All the best

Andrew
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Andrew Pixley wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:03 am Greg's enthusiasm is brilliant isn't it? I've heard quite a few of his podcasts and he has some smashing interviews. I know that he was getting a bit despondent recently when nobody turned out online for a chat he had with BBC Archive Selector Sue Malden... and I'd hate to see him lose his interest and passion for this subject.
Ah, I wish I had known about it - I'd have been there. I've been a fan of Sue since 1981 or so when she first appeared in that Doctor Who magazine special feature about the surviving episodes (or missing episodes, as pessimists might term it!). I saw in the past few days an advert for a convention she is going to be at, I wish I could find it again!
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Frankymole wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:23 amAh, I wish I had known about it - I'd have been there.
It was a shame that he got so little interest. Unfortunately, my wife and I don't have a life where watching live streams is at all easy, so it's not something that's generally practical for us to subscribe to. Anyway, I hope that he continues because I love his enthusiasm! :)

All the best

Andrew