Serial Episodes

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rhonda
Epic

Serial Episodes

Post by Rhonda »

I'm just thinking about the episodes which continued a story on from a previous one.

1.Hot Snow and Brought To Book
2.The Cybernauts, Return Of The Cybernauts and The Last of The Cybernauts?
3.K is For Kill - The Tiger Awakes and K Is For Kill - Tiger By The Tale

(obviously not including episodes with recurring characters)

There may be other such stories but of the three I think the third one is my favourite.
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Serial Episodes

Post by Frankymole »

Boris Kartovsky appears in two episodes but I think it's just a re-use of the name.

Like when George Cowley turns up in The Professionals, but isn't the one from The Avengers.

It's amazing how in even in the videotaped era there are very few, if any, linked events or people in the episodes (except Steed's partners and bosses). Even then they were aware stuff might get jumbled up for broadcast order.

In Hunt the Man Down, Dr Keel's surgery is redecorated and in Dance With Death Steed notices it has been redecorated. Similarly, Purdey's apartment gets wrecked and her piano demolished in Last of the Cybernauts..?? and in Medium Rare her flat is being redecorated (pink couch, but new wallpaper) and it's completed by Obsession (new piano, yellow walls).

The file on "PSEV" from Two's A Crowd reappears in Small Game for Big Hunters, and of course there is Brodny from the former who reappears in The See-Through Man. There are a few re-used props and things like that which may or may not be meant to be from previous stories. According to my notes, Benson's CCTV from The Cybernauts is re-used in Death At Bargain Prices, for instance.
Last edited by Frankymole on Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Mrs Peel redecorates her flat in The Hidden Tiger as well.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:56 pm Mrs Peel redecorates her flat in The Hidden Tiger as well.
Oh yes, she has her "old" flat in Escape in Time and her "revised" flat by Epic. No-one had as radical a revamp as Mrs Gale and her futurist nightmare of a flat, though!
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

There do seem to be very few links to events in earlier episodes. I've only come up with this little scene ...

When Emma and Steed talk on the phone in "K is for Kill: part 1 -The Tiger Awakes" it is maybe their first talk since their farewell in "The Forget-Me-Knot".
Ron
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

And by design, too. The production bible referred to the show being a series, not a serial - each episode was to be able to stand on its own, so any ongoing references are few and far between and generally fleeting and irrelevant to the plot, as a nod to long term viewers.

Even Brodny turning up again falls into this category, it doesn't matter if you didn't see Three's a Crowd before The See-Through Man as it's never explicitly referenced anyway.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Yes. I like the brief nods to former partners, it shows the series still likes that its viewers may remember its past glories. The New Avengers has more than most. As well as the glimpses of Mrs Peel in old clips, there is a dialogue in-joke with Ian Hendry's (new) character about him being 16 years late (or whatever amount it is, I haven't see To Catch a Rat recently so I misremember the exact dialogue). And we also see the Department's shelved files for Mrs Peel and Mrs Gale, as well their photographs (and Tara's) at Steed's Stud.

One oddity from reuse of names that I vaguely remember is that RAF Hamelin from The Hour That Never Was later reappears as a working airbase, even though it was being shut down and its personnel relocated in the earlier story. (Is it in The Superlative Seven? Or perhaps The Danger Makers?)
Last edited by Frankymole on Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Another one I can't track down is when Steed mentions remembering the WW2 prison camp in the Far East in 'Room Without a View'; I felt a similar experience of his was mentioned in another episode?
Ron
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

In Man with Two Shadows there's a reference to Steed having been captured by the opposition and managing to escape.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Yes and I think in Take-Over Steed and his friend celebrate Christmas in February because they had both once been in a prison camp together and lost track of time.