worst episode

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

worst episode

Post by mousemeat »

so..as great as the majority of episodes from the Honor-Diana-Linda-era, what was the worst episode from those series...in your opinion ?
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

The ONLY Avengers episode I dislike is Homicide and old lace. I wish they had left the original episode (The Great Great Britain crime) as it was. Does anyone know if this exists in the vaults anywhere? I'm guessing not, as it would have surfaced on the boxset.
paulh
Thingumajig

Post by paulh »

If we are including The New Avengers too, Trap has to be a strong contender for the worst ever episode!
Old account paulpdjh
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

paulh wrote:If we are including The New Avengers too, Trap has to be a strong contender for the worst ever episode!

sure, why not ? BTW, 'trap' was a crummy episode...woof !
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Hard to go past Trap. I'd nominate The Grandeur that was Rome and Immortal Clay as contenders, with Trojan Horse as an outsider.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:Hard to go past Trap. I'd nominate The Grandeur that was Rome and Immortal Clay as contenders, with Trojan Horse as an outsider.
Is it just me ? or did the New Avengers, seemed to have more dismal episodes than the others ?
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

dissolute wrote:Hard to go past Trap. I'd nominate The Grandeur that was Rome and Immortal Clay as contenders, with Trojan Horse as an outsider.
One man's meat.....

I really quite like Trojan Horse, but agree the others are a bit dull. Never understood why Immortal Clay was chosen over the likes of Mr Teddy Bear when Channel 4 did a rerun in the early 90s.

There are quite a few in series 5 which seem a little repetitive.

Have Guns... Will Haggle fails to hold my attention, as does Invasion of the Earthmen.

Some later series 2 episodes are weaker : six hand across a table and killer whale spring to mind.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

The Grandeur that was Rome - a good cast and some excellent sets but I just can't engage with the story.

Agree about The Trojan Horse. I've no idea what the episode is about as I've never finished it.. I expect better from writer Malcolm Hulke.

The Gladiators is the weakest New Avengers episode for me. But it has the odd Purdey and Gambit moment to make it worth dipping into. I enjoy Trap (the regulars are always good value and there's some funky scoring from Johnson).
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Lee wrote:
One man's meat.....

I really quite like Trojan Horse, but agree the others are a bit dull. Never understood why Immortal Clay was chosen over the likes of Mr Teddy Bear when Channel 4 did a rerun in the early 90s.

There are quite a few in series 5 which seem a little repetitive.

Have Guns... Will Haggle fails to hold my attention, as does Invasion of the Earthmen.

Some later series 2 episodes are weaker : six hand across a table and killer

whale spring to mind.

so consider the worst Honor, Diana, and Linda episode....
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Worst for me, by companion:

David: Diamond Cut Diamond (probably)
Martin: they're all good, but maybe Mission to Montreal
Venus: Box of Tricks
Cathy: Immortal Clay
Emma: The See-Through Man
Tara: Homicide and Old Lace
Gambit & Purdey: Trap
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.