The New Avengers Titles - Screenshots of Unused Footage

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

The New Avengers Titles - Screenshots of Unused Footage

Post by darren »

These screenshots of footage from filming done for the title sequence were shared on Twitter.

Obviously parts of it were used in both the sequences that we got (the live action and animated ones).

The poster who shared them suggested that they may have been from the rumoured but never confirmed sequence that included the word "NEW" done as graffiti. Quite a few people claimed to have remembered this sequence.

Maybe it is a real thing after all..?

Here's hoping it will end up on the Network Releasing Blu-ray boxset.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I'm sure this is on one of the DVD of The New Avengers I have, I've definitely seen these images before.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:I'm sure this is on one of the DVD of The New Avengers I have, I've definitely seen these images before.
thanks for posting these...enjoyed eye ballin' them
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: The New Avengers Titles - Screenshots of Unused Footage

Post by Frankymole »

Darren wrote: The poster who shared them suggested that they may have been from the rumoured but never confirmed sequence that included the word "NEW" done as graffiti. Quite a few people claimed to have remembered this sequence.

Possibly. Considering that for a long time people thought the 1975 Laurent Perrier champagne commercial was a myth or no longer existed as footage (as it is we only have a blurry video copy). Then again, the infamous 20-minute version of The Strange Case of the Missing Corpse seems to have been a myth.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
Darren wrote: The poster who shared them suggested that they may have been from the rumoured but never confirmed sequence that included the word "NEW" done as graffiti. Quite a few people claimed to have remembered this sequence.

Possibly. Considering that for a long time people thought the 1975 Laurent Perrier champagne commercial was a myth or no longer existed as footage (as it is we only have a blurry video copy). Then again, the infamous 20-minute version of The Strange Case of the Missing Corpse seems to have been a myth.
true. Myself, have never seen that infamous French commercial...rumoured to be the engine behind the re birth of the ' new ' Avengers...as for the strange case....oh well.....
Brugeoise
Thingumajig

Post by Brugeoise »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:

true. Myself, have never seen that infamous French commercial...rumoured to be the engine behind the re birth of the ' new ' Avengers...as for the strange case....oh well.....
There are two copies of the commercial on YouTube. One in French, which looks rather blurry, and the other one dubbed in Spanish that has a slightly better picture quality. It’s the same footage in both of them, it’s just the language that varies.

Regarding the TNA titles, I always liked the live action version better than the grey background one. I don’t think graffiti would have worked well, not even in TNA.
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

I'm sure I've seen the photos of Joanna lying in the circle somewhere before....
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

The graffiti thing doesn't fit the seventies. Could have perfectly fitted in the 80s or 90s. My guess would be that people are remembering an 80s or 90s promo for reruns.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

The graffiti was in the original artwork for the series and survives on some of the paperwork (script covers, call sheets).

It was like this (without the line to the left of new, that's just there to push it in):

____new
THE ^ AVENGERS
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

The "graffiti titles" were on some of the episodes CBS aired in the late 70's.