Unstoppable cards: very big weighty Honor Blackman book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Does anyone know who wrote the text?
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Steve_Unstoppable
White Dwarf

Some answers

Post by Steve_Unstoppable »

Hi All

I read with interest some of the comments about the Honor Blackman book - as the editor I thought I might give some answers.

Having worked on the design side of several Avengers Trading Card sets (amongst others) I always had access to the archive at StudioCanal... so the idea of doing some kind of Visual History of The Avengers as books was formulated.

Unfortunately it did take a long time to come to fruition - this was not due to any rights wrangling, going bankrupt, not having a licence etc - we have a long standing relationship with StudioCanal stretching back many years.

The delay was a simple case of time...having the time to wade through several thousand images to choose ones from each episode, cleaning images up, laying the book out, getting it printed.

We are a VERY small team at Unstoppable and this required a sustained period of work to get it done. Then a pandemic came along and we were all shut in our houses... ideal time to put my head down and finally get it done!

There are over 900 photos in the book - StudioCanal a few years back went back and re-scanned their whole archive to super high res size. So they are amazing.

As for text this was also drawn from the archive - from the press sheets sent out from ABC to the listing mags etc giving the official synopses for the episodes

Also peppered throughout are Press Release text from back in the day where relevant.

As for books on The Rigg Era and Thorson Era (which I have to say the archive has some amazing pics of a gorgeous looking Thorson - who perhaps tends to be sidelined when talking about the show) - they will be following along as soon as possible ... especially if this first book is a success

I know I had enormous fun putting the project together (tinged with the sadness of Honor Blakcman passing away whilst I was working on it)

So don't delay in getting the money off... enjoy
James C McFetridge
Nutshell

Re: Some answers

Post by James C McFetridge »

Steve_Unstoppable wrote:Hi All

I read with interest some of the comments about the Honor Blackman book - as the editor I thought I might give some answers.

Having worked on the design side of several Avengers Trading Card sets (amongst others) I always had access to the archive at StudioCanal... so the idea of doing some kind of Visual History of The Avengers as books was formulated.

Unfortunately it did take a long time to come to fruition - this was not due to any rights wrangling, going bankrupt, not having a licence etc - we have a long standing relationship with StudioCanal stretching back many years.

The delay was a simple case of time...having the time to wade through several thousand images to choose ones from each episode, cleaning images up, laying the book out, getting it printed.

We are a VERY small team at Unstoppable and this required a sustained period of work to get it done. Then a pandemic came along and we were all shut in our houses... ideal time to put my head down and finally get it done!

There are over 900 photos in the book - StudioCanal a few years back went back and re-scanned their whole archive to super high res size. So they are amazing.

As for text this was also drawn from the archive - from the press sheets sent out from ABC to the listing mags etc giving the official synopses for the episodes

Also peppered throughout are Press Release text from back in the day where relevant.

As for books on The Rigg Era and Thorson Era (which I have to say the archive has some amazing pics of a gorgeous looking Thorson - who perhaps tends to be sidelined when talking about the show) - they will be following along as soon as possible ... especially if this first book is a success

I know I had enormous fun putting the project together (tinged with the sadness of Honor Blakcman passing away whilst I was working on it)

Thanks for the info.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

wow, if this is the case, I'm excited for the book's arrival....my fingers are crossed
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences regarding this gigantic job of work! I very much hope it's a big success.

After some wrestling with my computer I have put in my order!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

This book about Honor Blackman really looks great, good design, layout of the text and attraction with new scans of photos. Many thanks, Steve. Regardless of the success around the sale of this product, the success with a possible similar book about Diana Rigg will be much greater. :)
For example, realizing that the circulation of the book is limited, I did not order a book about Honor (I will wait for customer reviews with a look at the contents and I'm also sure it will through auctions in the future). :wink: However, I am definitely interested in buying a similar book with Diana Rigg (at least with new scans of photos) and Linda Thorson (considering that I was hypnotized by The Avengers series by starting watching with Tara King).
Denis
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

denis rigg wrote:Umm, now it looks like the delay is due to the work with the UFO cards set, which will go under orders along with the Honor Blackman book.

so....how many of us...have placed a order ?...I'm wondering if it will be available on AMAZON....or I suppose I'll have to order it from the UK...to my home in the states...
Tarot
White Dwarf

Post by Tarot »

It's very pricey even with the pre order discount, but I've placed an order today. It does look from the promotional material that some care and effort has gone into the publication. Fingers crossed it lives up to the cost.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Thanks Steve, it sounds like a must-have item for any Avenger fan's library! The layouts we can see on your site are excellent, a very tantalising glimpse of your excellent work.

Have you engaged a new publisher for this or are you working with your previous suppliers?

I'm deeply envious of your access to the archive, that sounds amazing.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Steve_Unstoppable
White Dwarf

Post by Steve_Unstoppable »

To answer some of your other questions - the book is with the same people that announced it - I am one of the partners at Unstoppable so no move to different publisher :-). I deal with the design side and the book is completely under our control "as it were". I have quite a lot of experience in designing these kinds of books so hopefully i have done a good job here!

I am trying to put together some kind of video to show more of the inside of the book to give a better idea of it's scope

I would say if you are sitting on the fence then the discount codes won't be around forever and this IS a strictly limited edition book

As for Rigg and Thorson - as I say we have every intention of moving on to them next (and much faster).