Forum banner 2021

Important announcements about the forum - mostly the Christmas contests.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Are they on a moored boat/ship there?
good question...i think boat....
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Yes, on a ship in the Thames. I think it's HQS Wellington but it seems to be moored near Whitehall Gardens where the Hispanola is now.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

We return to weekly banners for a month to cover the last four episodes of Series 1.
Today, we have Steed and Keel battling neo-Nazis, strangely not wearing MAGA hats, in Dead of Winter

Franky's Christmas banner will return in four weeks.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote:We return to weekly banners for a month to cover the last four episodes of Series 1.
Today, we have Steed and Keel battling neo-Nazis, strangely not wearing MAGA hats, in Dead of Winter

Franky's Christmas banner will return in four weeks.
A chilling episode (no pun intended). I really enjoyed the Tele-Snap reconstruction and Big Finish's re-enactment. I've read about some cryogenic plots in unused scripts/storylines from the Emma era, and of course it was a side-issue in Invasion of the Earthmen and a major plot hook in The Eagle's Nest. I don't think either of those did it better than here - earliest, and best treatment of the idea. The final showdown is genuinely gripping. I feared for Keel's life.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Tell me again how to clear the banner and get the new one? Ah, done it. Hold down control and refresh. Aww, love Dr Keel. You can't beat Dramatic Eyeglasses.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Tell me again how to clear the banner and get the new one? Ah, done it. Hold down control and refresh. Aww, love Dr Keel. You can't beat Dramatic Eyeglasses.
exactly...adds a certain aura to the good doctor....and btw, loved this year's banner...one of the very best done..you nailed it, Franky
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote:....and btw, loved this year's banner...one of the very best done..you nailed it, Franky
It will be back in January :) Well there are Twelve Days of Christmas, after all! (I intend to watch The Avengers every day over my 2 weeks' Christmas break, again. Was lovely and enjoyable last year and started me on a rewatch of the whole series).
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

mchousemeat wrote:
dissolute wrote:It's amazing, isn't it, that 1961 had a heavily Asian cast for this episode but in 1977 you have Terry Wood as Soo Choy - and Ronald Lacey as Hong Kong Harry in 1976! (Although neither are as bad as the yellowface guards in Room Without a View).

the era between 60's and 70's, were difficult in terms of casting..and being what was considered to be PC at the time

of course, my all time fave 'mis casting' was Charton Heston as a mexican detective ..in ' Touch of Evil ' (Universal 1958) directed by Orson Welles. his last Hollywood directing gig
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Sixty years ago, the Avengers had a story about an airborne virus and attempts to develop an effective vaccine in The Deadly Air, which is this week's banner:

Mrs Peel, you're needed!
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:Sixty years ago, the Avengers had a story about an airborne virus and attempts to develop an effective vaccine in The Deadly Air, which is this week's banner:

6 decades later...and dealing with covid-19.....sorta eerie...