Avenger items

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Avenger items

Post by mousemeat »

over the years, there has been a fair amount of items produced from the series..from t-shirts, postcards, calendars, and more...When the series was first issued on VHS, in the 90's, A & E put out a number of items, like posters, etc..so what's the holy grail in Avenger items, you wish to obtain ? what prized item do you currently own ?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I have a couple of scripts but they're not as rare as you might think. Postcards, poster etc. but these days I wonder why I bothered.

Of course, I'd love to be that guy who finds the missing episodes in Australia as there's a vague rumour about ABC here offering them back to Thames Telvision by mistake in the late 80s.

The story doesn't ring true though, as it says they were offered to Thames Television because the Gore Hill studios were closing down and they were clearing out the film vault BUT Gore Hill didn't shut until 2003 so I think it highly unlikely they would have (a) offered them in the 80s, and (b) offered them to Thames at all, as Thames were never anything to do with The Avengers.

Admittedly, their ownership at the time was odd, I think EMI held the rights then, but a television company should have been able to work that out!

[Plus, I've gone through the national archives here and while there's a ton of paperwork for The Avengers, it starts with series 2 which was definitely sold to Australia and broadcast here.]

As the Cathy Gale episodes were considered missing in the 80s, maybe it's these that were offered back....
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Franky made the very good point that with Thames being created to stop Rediffusion from going under (Thames being an amalgamation - sort of - of ABC and Rediffusion) the Avengers episodes had the Thames ident added to them.

I've seen on another forum that the Tara King series had the early static Thames ident added to the beginning. As I said to him, I've never seen an episode with it intact so maybe it was early UK VHS tapes that had it?

https://missingepisodes.proboards.com/t ... st-3-years

(Also, he said this thread is locked to moderators only somehow. I tried to fix it but drop me a DM if it's still locked.)
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Looks like it's fixed, thank you :)
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

dissolute wrote:(Also, he said this thread is locked to moderators only somehow. I tried to fix it but drop me a DM if it's still locked.)
I would hazard a guess that's because this is the "Classified Ads" section. See: THE AVENGERS FAN FORUM RULES FOR CLASSIFIED ADS

"Posting Restrictions. The Classified Ads section is advert only. No follow-up discussion is permitted. All contact between advertiser and interested parties must be through PM or email."

Perhaps an admin could move this thread to the more appropriate "Avengers Books and Merchandise" section?
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Re: Avenger items

Post by Avengerholic »

mousemeat wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:39 am over the years, there has been a fair amount of items produced from the series..from t-shirts, postcards, calendars, and more...When the series was first issued on VHS, in the 90's, A & E put out a number of items, like posters, etc..so what's the holy grail in Avenger items, you wish to obtain ? what prized item do you currently own ?
I owned literally just about everything at one point back in the 90's. I woke up one morning and out of the blue I sold the lot! Do I regret doing that, yes. Did I do the right thing, absolutely.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

mousemeat wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:39 am over the years, there has been a fair amount of items produced from the series..from t-shirts, postcards, calendars, and more...When the series was first issued on VHS, in the 90's, A & E put out a number of items, like posters, etc..so what's the holy grail in Avenger items, you wish to obtain ? what prized item do you currently own ?
Emma's car SJH 499D seems to get sold regularly. I hope an Avengers fan gets it; that would give it a good home!
As to what I've got - videos, a postcard with stamp, 2 cards and an unofficial calendar.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Avengerholic wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:17 am I owned literally just about everything at one point back in the 90's. I woke up one morning and out of the blue I sold the lot! Do I regret doing that, yes. Did I do the right thing, absolutely.
I did similar with a Doctor Who collection built up from 1974 to 1994. It paid for a month's rent on my flat which I left a few months later anyway. At least it made moving home easier!

Bought most of the items again later on....
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

ahh, yeah...a familiar tale of woe for myself, as well....sold a bunch of similar stuff...avengers, man from U.N.C.L.E. stuff, and
Batman...do I regret it ? somewhat....but one can always chase that stuff down..if the itch returns